Private Long Term DI with Acoustic Neuroma (Vestibular Schwannoma).

'morning,
The underwriter got back to me and I was right. They will pass on this until "this has been resolved", which typically means the condition is treated and the client is back at work full time.

The best option may be an accident-only plan with Mutual of Omaha or Petersens to bridge the period between now and when she's insurable again.

'morning,
The underwriter got back to me and I was right. They will pass on this until "this has been resolved", which typically means the condition is treated and the client is back at work full time.

The best option may be an accident-only plan with Mutual of Omaha or Petersens to bridge the period between now and when she's insurable again.
Omaha uses health conditions on their accident plan (I know that's ridiculous, but they do).

That's okay... Lloyd's just shut us down, too.
OPs client might be insurable, but not for while.
There is more than one Lloyd's coverholder in the US. As I mentioned before, RISK is an option for hard to place cases.

Fidelity Security also has a graded plan that is liberal with all types of health conditions.

Still, I agree that this is a tough one no matter which way you look at it. Especially since even if by some stretch she can get coverage, it is going to be EXPENSIVE.

There is more than one Lloyd's coverholder in the US. As I mentioned before, RISK is an option for hard to place cases.

Fidelity Security also has a graded plan that is liberal with all types of health conditions.

Still, I agree that this is a tough one no matter which way you look at it. Especially since even if by some stretch she can get coverage, it is going to be EXPENSIVE.

I agree that she will be able to get coverage at a very high rate. The problem right now is that the condition hasn't been treated yet. Based on my results and experience, the IDI carriers are going to want her back at work before they'll even look at her. Then RISK and Lloyds (with Petersens, Exceptional Risk, or whichever coverholder) would be willing to underwrite.

As an aside, I hope you had a great fourth!

I had a tumor of this sort several years ago, but fortunately, I had DI when it was discovered and when surgery took place. In addition to the hearing loss, there may be memory effects--mine was of short-term memory. Many universities have "speech and hearing" graduate programs in which graduate students work with afflicted people to improve their deficits. The students are seeking doctorates in Speech & Language Pathology, but the program also includes memory training. If your client has that sort of deficit, which would be an underwriting concern, you may want to guide her to therapy so the underwriter will see that it is underway. These programs conduct an initial assessment to determine the nature and extent of any deficit. Having that done and submitting it with the application may assist with the decision on policy issuance (depending upon the results of the assessment). Also, if you have not guided the client to SSDI, you should.

SSDI could be an issue.

If she was diagnosed in 7/19, she wouldn't be close enough to meet duration yet (has to last, or be expected to last at least 12 continuous months)

SSA would likely put her case on hold today if she hadn't already had surgery/chemo completed for 3 month. If she had and everything was fine, she's likely a denial.

If not and continuing vestibular training, they'd need until at least early Feb to reasonably approve. At that point, she'd be 6m from onset and SSA can consider projecting the 6m of function based on her records.

Memory loss by itself would not likely find her disabled.

Last edited:
Back