Prospect screening

I drum up new prospects in various ways.

Sending thank you cards (something I am working on now and trying to improve my overall "snail mail" correspondence), a monthly newsletter (Constant Contact), phone calls to existing clients as well as those where we spoke in the past but nothing happened (the Ed Koch approach), sending out updated proposals with a note that things have changed in the market, drip marketing via automated email, volunteering time on public forums in "help" sessions, and . . . buying more leads.

It all works together. All are things to make sure they don't forget me and give them an opportunity to respond.

Excellent advise Bob, thanks. Drum up new biz? You? But how? Don't tell me cold call, there's no way. Prospect? Going into town and handing people your flyers? No way again. How do YOU drum up new biz? I'd like to learn how. I'm tired of "reaching as many people" as I can and driving all over Pa and Jersey. Yeah, eventually that'll pay off, but how do seasoned pros like yourself aquire new biz?

If the money is running out (I believe you said that in an earlier post) and you're not willing to do any sort of cold prospecting, unfortanetly, your time in running out. I still get most of my business from telemarketing and B2B, however, there are some other things you can do besides internet leads:

-start developing referral relationships with P&C guys along with financial advisor types. The easiest way to motivate them is commission splits unless you can send them enough business to make it worth their while.

-speak in front of some groups that are independent contractors or small business owners

The bottom line is you have to be able to speak with enough people every business day that are generally qualified as a group to do business with you or you won't make it, the source doesn't matter as much. As much as you may not like cold calling, it is the fastest way to jump start your pipeline if it is struggling.

With everyone going nuts looking for "the best" lead sources a decent portion of my business comes from flyers I lay in counters when I'm out doing s**t. Are they qualified? Hell no.

Back