Pyramid: Today's Options MA and MA-PDP

I have had nothing but bad news on Pyramid. I wrote about 60 of them in one area, serviced primarily by one large medical group.

The group is being good enough to keep the existing patients but wants nothing to do with new patients on Pyramid. I moved about 40 of them to Aetna - a company that knows how to handle claims.

I disagree with Frank about PFFS. It's not black and white that PFFS is bad and supplements are good. If price is not an object, then there is no comparison. But for underage or low income seniors whos doctor/hospital accept the plan, it may be a better alternative than straight Medicare.

However, I've come full circle on this. I thought PFFS was a much better alternative than managed care, either HMO or PPO. I now believe that knowing you can see your doctor today AND tomorrow is a big benefit and rank PFFS below a PPO and even below an HMO in many cases. But as long as CMS (temorarily) allows PFFS, I'll place it for those for whom it fits.

Rick

Last edited:
The doctors accepting them is a scary thing and I am surprised that the big bad CMS allows that. I have yet to run into a doctor exercising that right. It is scary though.

Back