Recending Policies

This is a problem client.

Instead of wasting your valuable time with them, which'll probably result in them suing you, or at the very least making a DOI stink - go find some other prospects.

Do carriers in your state take women that are pregnant for IFP? In my state (FL) they don't.

Well if I dont waste my time and dont speak to them then wouldnt it be more likely that they would sue since they are pissed and think I am avoiding them because I did some thing wrong?

What if I tried to help get this reinstated by fighting the rescinded policy?and even if it didnt work write her and her baby when it comes due on a different carrier with all the health questions answered truthfully?

I'm curious, did you discuss the claims review process with this client? It seems this individual didn't respect you enough to be honest.

Dont remember exactly, but I guess not enough. I also had only been selling health insurance for about a month or two. She was one of my first Clients. So maybe I didnt press the point enough like I do now! And even more so now!!!

Well if I dont waste my time and dont speak to them then wouldnt it be more likely that they would sue since they are pissed and think I am avoiding them because I did some thing wrong?

What if I tried to help get this reinstated by fighting the rescinded policy?and even if it didnt work write her and her baby when it comes due on a different carrier with all the health questions answered truthfully?

If it were a logical world, this would make sense.

It isn't.

People like this that you try to "help" are the fastest to sue, make DOI complaints, etc. You can either learn from other's experience, or the "school of hard knocks".

For the last time, GET AWAY FROM THEM! THEY ARE TROUBLE!

If you didn't explain the claims process correctly you are wrong. If you did spell it out for them, then they are wrong and you should let them know that. You owe it to yourself and them as a professional.

They fraudulently tried to sneak past you and the insurance carrier. If you need the money go for it, but I'd caution you against that for the long term.

Dont remember exactly, but I guess not enough. I also had only been selling health insurance for about a month or two. She was one of my first Clients. So maybe I didnt press the point enough like I do now! And even more so now!!!

I use something similar to what John P. says and it works great for me. Granted, one of the worst feelings are the OH $$@% moments when you think you have deal, but don't because of underwriting guidelines. Nevertheless, it's worth the sleep at night to me and morality of adhering to my ethical standards. Chalk it up to experience, don't let this get you down and move on.

Auto Decline, for a migraine? or because her Mom and Sisters have it also? When I check my underwriting guidelines with Aetna and Humana they both would write her according to the guidelines.

No - she's an auto-decline now because if you do an app with another carrier you must disclose that this one was rescinded - that's an auto-decline.

If she does an app with another carrier and chooses to lie on the question that asks if she's ever had a policy rated, declined, rescinded, etc...then she'll be right back at square one and have that next one canceled as well.

Unicare requires paper applications to be completed by the applicant, not the Agent. I know of situations where the agent took the info. from a paper app. and put the info. online and left something off. It was a big mess. Slap on the wrist for agent.

On a side note, did anyone get the Christmas letter from Unicare letting us know we will no longer be paid commission on ratings, and cutting the renewal commission by 30%. Merry Christmas.

No - she's an auto-decline now because if you do an app with another carrier you must disclose that this one was rescinded - that's an auto-decline.

If she does an app with another carrier and chooses to lie on the question that asks if she's ever had a policy rated, declined, rescinded, etc...then she'll be right back at square one and have that next one canceled as well.

Wow, so if you are rescinded on a policy then you cant get individual coverage again? Is that for the rest of your life? Are you sure about that?

Ok, here's the scoop with at least Assurant - just called my underwriter. Yes, she's be able get covered. She'd have to check yes that she's had a policy rescinded and explain the story. However, according to my Assurant underwriter, if she's medically eligible for a plan she gets a plan - doesn't matter if she had a plan yanked before.

This is only Assurant. I'll also check with GR and Aetna.

TX hit the nail on the head. If the app says it must be filled out by the applicant, don't touch it. If it is written in their handwriting, they can't say you omitted anything. Of course, we have an ethical obligation to explain the product and process, but if they wrote it, it is not your omission.

I know, I'll wait for the flood on responses on this one.

Unicare requires paper applications to be completed by the applicant, not the Agent. I know of situations where the agent took the info. from a paper app. and put the info. online and left something off. It was a big mess. Slap on the wrist for agent.

On a side note, did anyone get the Christmas letter from Unicare letting us know we will no longer be paid commission on ratings, and cutting the renewal commission by 30%. Merry Christmas.

I was told by my Regional Sales Director for Unicare that when I take paper apps I can complete them or the applicant can, then have the applicant sign and date. Also I always take my paper apps and enter online myself then email the final app for signatures to the applicant for online signature and date.

And yes I got the notice about the changes. Bunch of BS. Another reason I will be moving my business else where.

Ok, here's the scoop with at least Assurant - just called my underwriter. Yes, she's be able get covered. She'd have to check yes that she's had a policy rescinded and explain the story. However, according to my Assurant underwriter, if she's medically eligible for a plan she gets a plan - doesn't matter if she had a plan yanked before.

This is only Assurant. I'll also check with GR and Aetna.

Ok thanks John. Now does that change your outlook on whether or not you would try to get her written with another company?

You where scarring me for a minute. I could imaging the trouble if an Agent was found guilty of such act as not putting info on an app. It gets rescinded with no chance of getting covered under another company? How much trouble there would be for the Agent then? I dont think there would be any E&O coverage that would cover that lawsuit.

Listen, this is just a message board with opinions - sometimes great opinions, sometimes not to great.

Only you know the relationship you have with your client and the tone of the conversation. It would be a case by case basis for me as to me dealing with that client again. She already lied on an app once - do you want to go through it again?

Back