Record Keeping

most of my clients are done in office or at their business, so i like to have an app to show i did some work lol.

dan do you shredd them after you scan ?

djs said:
I use docusign. There is also echosign and a few others.
There is a monthly fee, but it saves me in postage and hassle.

I find a lot of clients don't have fax machines or scanners (or at least don't use them). Docusign allows them to sign the papers without ever printing them.

Now, if they are in the office, I print them, have them sign them and then scan them back in.

Dan

Can you do this for every carrier without prior approval?

I use this for P&C, which is usually agent retain documentation anyway.

When I've had to submit, every carrier has accepted it, no issues.

For this, I have always taken the approach of doing the e-sign first, then if they reject, do the faxed signature (which makes no sense).

This might not work for life or health, but works well for P&C.

Dan

only thing i guess it comes down to it. If you needed to prove a client sign something can a scan version have as much power as a wet ink signature (hard copy).

Dan, is it like those credit card machines and they sign on top of it?

No, not at all.

Docusign (and echosign and a few others) are designed primarily so you can email documents to clients and have them sign electronically. If done properly, they have all the legal authority of a real wet signature. Courts will uphold the signature (again, if done properly).

Can it be fooled? Sure, same as if you send the paperwork to someone and someone else signs for them, but realistically, e-signing is better since it has an audit trail to it. If I look at the audit, I can see I sent it out at a certain time from a certain IP address to a specific email address who logged in from such and such IP address and completed the process at such and such time and then a reply was sent, etc.

Clients tend to really like it, I've had a lot of complements for being on the cutting edge, though truthfully, the technology has been around a while.

Go to docusign.com, click on free trial and try it out. Send yourself a document to sign.

Dan

P.S. I have one of those electronic signing pads as well, but haven't used it in years.

Back