Release letter

Annie H

A person I know told me that he is willing to teach me how to do ACA. I didn't realized he has two level of uplines. He asked me to contact a person to get contracts with carriers but never mention Keystone Advisors name who is my upline. I did not receive commission for 5 months. I feel it likes scam so want to get out the agency. I was told by the carriers that I need my top upline to release me. I never heard that upline's name nor signed a contract with. They just don't release me. Is there a regulation on this or complain organization, like BBB? How should I get out the this trap without a release letter? Don't work with Keystone Advisors, an unprofessional agency you don't want to deal with.

A person I know told me that he is willing to teach me how to do ACA. I didn't realized he has two level of uplines. He asked me to contact a person to get contracts with carriers but never mention Keystone Advisors name who is my upline. I did not receive commission for 5 months. I feel it likes scam so want to get out the agency. I was told by the carriers that I need my top upline to release me. I never heard that upline's name nor signed a contract with. They just don't release me. Is there a regulation on this or complain organization, like BBB? How should I get out the this trap without a release letter? Don't work with Keystone Advisors, an unprofessional agency you don't want to deal with.
You can cancel your contracts with each carrier in writing, then wait 6 months and recontract through another FMO.

You can cancel your contracts with each carrier in writing, then wait 6 months and recontract through another FMO.
Not for every ACA carrier. Off the top of my head Ambetter, some of the Anthems and BCBS's, Cigna, and Oscar all require releases. There is no way around it.

Unfortunately, this situation is pretty common. @Annie H have you spoken with anyone at Keystone or at your immediate upline? Usually you have to push pretty hard to get that stuff done but there is no other way.

You also have to have somewhere to transfer your appointment. If you are trying to move under another FMO, they may be able to reach out and do a reciprocal release agreement on your behalf and get the ball rolling.

Not for every ACA carrier. Off the top of my head Ambetter, some of the Anthems and BCBS's, Cigna, and Oscar all require releases. There is no way around it.

Unfortunately, this situation is pretty common. @Annie H have you spoken with anyone at Keystone or at your immediate upline? Usually you have to push pretty hard to get that stuff done but there is no other way.

You also have to have somewhere to transfer your appointment. If you are trying to move under another FMO, they may be able to reach out and do a reciprocal release agreement on your behalf and get the ball rolling.

Only 2 I needed release for was Ambetter and Oscar which I cannot get and I am stuck

But all the rest I was able to move without release though some were delayed, one or 2 was a 6 month wait

But with Ambetter and Oscar I am unable to do anything about even if I don't sell it I can never move

That's true. There are few carriers (Ambetter, BCBS, Community Health and Oscar require release letter regardless I cancel the contract or not. I sent many emails to upline, agent success manager, contract dept, follow ups and phone calls, spent so much time and tremendous efforts. Keystone Advisors just ignore them. What a unprofessional agency!!! What's the purpose for doing this? I feel I am scammed. I am not a captive agent. Is there a regulation on this?

There is no regulation on it unless you can find something in your contract language that says they will release you upon request.

It's something that's way too common in our field. The carriers are the ones that decide what the release process is and the FMO's can kind of do whatever they want. I work with a few agencies that are being held hostage by their uplines. Sometimes they flat out say no, sometimes they just don't respond.

I'm sorry that you are going through it but you aren't alone.

I intend to be independent agent and I am good at it. Don't want to waste my time on these lawless, unprofessional craps.

Back