Sales/Ego Dilemma - How Would You Respond?

It's life insurance for pete's sake, not a policy where you will need to service it a couple of times per year like a med. supp., or major medical, etc.

Take the woman's $1000.00, stick it in your pocket, and move on with life. Heck. if your ego is too big to take the $1000, sell the policy and give the money to a needy family. Preferrably mine, since I am a failure and getting ready to get a job at McDonalds soon, I'll need it...HA-HA

Do you and your family need the money? What's more important, making a point, or feeding you and your family? The guys who are saying PASS, have built a book of business where they can afford to PASS.

Yes, I can afford to pass on a client like this now, but, I also would have, and did, pass on clients like that when I really needed the money.

Each person has to make these decisions on their own and their own tolerance. It wouldn't be wrong to take the case, it's just not what I would do. He op asked "what would you do?".

BTW, he said she came back with interest in "another Insurance product". How do you know it's also life insurance?

It's not ego, it's pride. If you are a professional, you need to be treated like one.

I'd "confront" her about her lack of respect for you in the past and that you are concerned about the amount of work you'll be doing now. You need to use "high priority selling" in this case.

You'll build a bigger book of business by only working with clients with whom you can atually work.

Rick

I having an ego dilemma :) I have a prospect who was referred to me by a colleague who hasn't been shy about showing me my place and rank compared to herself.

Questions:

Are the referrals that come from your colleague always this bad? Is it just this one? Or is this the first (and most likely only) referral you'll receive from him/her?

If you regularly get referrals from this person, you need to do EVERYTHING you can to get the business, and then give the referrER feedback on the referrAL (a good one, not a good one - and this is why, etc.).

Referral business is normally the best business you'll get, and you need to treat it with the respect that it deserves. Otherwise, people like me will be stealing all the business you should be getting with your referrals.

I have a prospect who ... hasn't been shy about showing me my place and rank compared to herself.

The first few minutes on the phone/meeting sets the rank between you and your client. Once you made a mistake and allowed yourself to take the subservient position, you should've folded the case because it was only going to drain you out of time, effort and self-worth. Once the relationship starts on the wrong foot, you can never undo it.

It seems like every once in a while I will run into someone that is bad to do business with. I either just dont deal with them, or I pass them on. Sometimes, some people are just a waste of time.

Strange thing about those types..when I sit down and explain that the foundation of the agent/client relationship is built on trust...and that it might be best if they start from scratch with a new agent...they seem to suddenly "want" to do business:1rolleyes: Makes me thankful that I can afford to fire obnoxious clients:1cute: and even more thankful for the other 99%

Strange thing about those types..when I sit down and explain that the foundation of the agent/client relationship is built on trust...and that it might be best if they start from scratch with a new agent...they seem to suddenly "want" to do business:1rolleyes: Makes me thankful that I can afford to fire obnoxious clients:1cute: and even more thankful for the other 99%
I agree....I had an appointment start off on the wrong foot a year ago and the woman was raking me over the coals. I said to her in a nice tone of voice "I appreciate that you live your life the way that you do, and I run my business in a manner consistent with my lifestyle, unfortunatly I do not believe we to be a match and I think you would be better served by another agent." Once I said this she shut up asked me what was wrong and then wanted to do business with me.......I think some people are combative with everyone and sometimes need to called out on it to be able to really listen to you.

Let me be clear. The sale did not start out with me being submissive. I don't work that way. It became clear later in the process that this person felt that she didn't have to respond to my requests. That's when it went sideways.

Back