Sales systems: Think first... buy later

I think John is referring to Bush II (a/k/a "W").

I believe EDS was a spinoff from General Motors. That is where Perot made his money.

No, Ross SOLD EDS to GM. They subsequently ruined it.

History lesson for ya...in the early 60's Ross sold for IBM. One year he had sold his quota by January 19th!

He saw that the future of computers was in the software end, and he approached IBM about it. They wanted nothing to do with it, so with money borrowed from his wife's teacher's retirement plan he started Electronic Data Systems.

The rest is history.

No, Ross SOLD EDS to GM. They subsequently ruined it.

History lesson for ya...in the early 60's Ross sold for IBM. One year he had sold his quota by January 19th!

The rest is history.

Timeline | eds.com

I was there for part of this history. In the mid 70s it was an exciting company to work for. I quit in '78 to go independent and start my own consulting company. EDS had a strict rule about dating a member of client staff. I met this babe at Blue Shield of CA where I was assigned as an analyst. We carried on in secret but of course the cat got out of the bag. Rather than fight over it, I just left. I knew the rules and had signed an agreement when I was hired. Besides EDS was famous for under-paying people and I wanted more money... which was easy to find in San Francisco in those days. EDS-trained people were 'hot' properties. I left EDS making about $15,000 a year and a day later got a contract at $15 dollars an hour... or about $30K a year. I never looked back. EDS was the last (and best) job I (ever) had.

Oh... by the way... I married the babe. I still got her. Very expensive. Was then... still is. Some thing don't change in 27 years.

Al

In the early seventies, I dropped out of college (first of several times) hitched around the country, hopped freight trains, met a lot of women and visited a lot of free clinics. No clear memories, but the colors, the melting colors...

Back