Same sex partners

I actually don't see the issue except for possibly not getting a family discount, however there's never discounts for just two applicants, normally 4 applicants have to be on the plan.

The issue is much more important when you have a group plan in place.

Maybe we can refer to JR and his life partner for how they handle it:D

Thank you for the reference. Unfortunately, the bastard right wing conservatives do not currently allow my life partner and I to obtain a family plan. Needless to say, I could really care less because universal health care is right around the corner.

I just spoke to a perspective client and she had a very interesting question.

What health insurance companies allow same sex partners? And do they allow their children as well?

AFLAC will insure domestic partners if the partners are gay but not if they are unmarried heteros. I realize that AFLAC is voluntary group and just supplemental which is different than what you are asking about but I toss that info into the mix just so that you can see how some companies are handling it. I have not done any AFLAC for years but that was the case a while back. And yes, the unmarried heteros bitched like hell when they saw the gays being eligible but not them. I am not making the news or justifying it. Just reporting it.

Winter

Sam is right. Some states require it, although (with the possible exception of CA), I believe it applies to group only.

Write them as separates. Don't think you will be able to get them on a family plan.

I have some gay and lesbian's insured, but as singles, not couples or families.

Gay%20Thread%20congrats.jpg

About 6 or 7 years ago, I wrote a life policy on a retired school teacher with First Colony. He wanted to name his life partner as the benficiary. The GA that I placed the policy with questioned it. I had to jump through hoops to convince the GA that it was perfectly legal and the life partner who jointly owned the house had an insurable interest. The client threatened to sue for discrimination when he heard about this. The GA finally went to the HO and they OK'd it. If they hadn't, there would have been hell raised. Of course, once the poilcy is issued it does not matter who the beneficiary is. BTW, I had him scheduled for a paramed on Monday. The Saturday night before the scheduled exam, the couple went out to dinner and the client dropped dead from a heart attack. The premium was returned to the life partner.

Sam is right. Some states require it, although (with the possible exception of CA), I believe it applies to group only.

Write them as separates. Don't think you will be able to get them on a family plan.

I have some gay and lesbian's insured, but as singles, not couples or families.

Florida Blue will take them on ifp (since about 6-8 mos ago), but only if male-female dp, if I'm not mistaken.

I think Al is an expert on this topic.

Rick

If you mean I have no problem with people being gay and that I have many homosexual friends of both sexes and that it is no business of mine or anyone else (especially the Huckabilly crowd) who marries whom or who does what with whom... you are right. Happy now?

Al

Last edited by a moderator:
Back