Screen Sharing who Uses What?

Things to think about....

- Do you need to record the appointment? Some offer this, some don't. Okay, most do in their paid version.
- Do you mind ads on the client side? Avoid free versions if you do (and you probably should)
- Do you need to see the clients desktop at any point? Perhaps to help them esign something from their computer? Most screen sharing systems allow this, but double check.

Think about the customer experience. Do they have to do software installs? Is it hard to get to the web portal to do the share? Do they have to enter complicated pins? If not, how do they know its only them and you?

I personally use ScreenConnect, but I had reasons I needed the 'assist' part of the program and it allows me to easily control the other persons computer when I need to. I also bought a license to it a long time ago so I don't have any monthly fees, something I'm not sure they offer (definitely not at the same price) that I got it for.

Gotomeeting is tried and true. Expensive though, at $35 a month (if you cancel after the trial and then sign up at the discounted rate). The good thing is almost everyone has heard of it and they feel 'safer' using it.

Dan

Late response to Alston, I don't use screen sharing. Never have. Doesn't mean I won't. Just something else to deal with.

As for Chrome Desktop, I have used that a few times where my son was walking me through an install. It is more secure than many of the screen sharing programs but only use with people you trust.

Tyler raises and interesting point about privacy. Depending on how you use screen sharing privacy may be an issue. If you are completing the application where PHI, SS, bank info, etc is involved you need to know just how secure the program is. Often the "free" services are offered because they are "listening in" on your program and may use information to generate revenue for them.

I love Google and all the "free" stuff they offer, but it comes with a price. The same is true for any "free" software you get from different sources.

You really need to ask yourself, "Why is this free?".

Note I have an IT background.

Generally you are right that many free programs have hidden agendas. In the example of join.me , it is a case of a large company that has corporate level desktop sharing software (LogMeIn, very professional, quality expensive product) and their free version is for smaller businesses. There are paid paths upsold, but I've always found this version great, especially given the lack of cost.

I have no vested interest here, but given that a lot of Insurance Agents are not very technical and sometimes without a budget for tech - this is an opportunity to educate and help agents elevate their game for no cost and a small learning curve.

Here's a snippet from their About Company page: