Secret Shopped By Insurance Companies

I feel that I have an obligation to educate my prospect and help them make an intelligent, well informed decision by explaining all of the different options that are available to them. I also have an obligation to myself to earn money in the process.

If I would strictly adhere to all of CMS's rules and regs I would be violating my obligation to both my prospect and me.

The whole system is specifically designed to prevent agents from doing what I think they are suppose to do and that is to help prospects. Since the e-mail stated agents can't "comparing other health plan(s) to XXXXXX", apparently CMS wants agents to pick a plan to sell and then simply become an order taker.

I see red every time I read crap like that. I didn't become an independent insurance agent to end up being CMS's butt boy and have to raise my hand every time I have to go to the bathroom. Nor will I "cram" a policy down someone's throat simply because "big brother" says I can't show them all of the options available.

I'm not a robot or an order taker. I'm a professional insurance agent who has a personality, sense of humor and a responsibility to help my prospects. If I could sell MA plans the same way I sell Med Supps I would be a lot more inclined to offer them.

Frank, Bob Klee is correct. This is a wonderful post and it makes me proud to be acquainted with you.

there's plenty of lawyers, acccountants, stockbrokers, politicians, etc in prison as well. You don't see any secret shopper thing going on in those industries, there are some really shady characters in every industry. I'm sorry I don't see an agent writing a health plan or a prescription drug plan waranting all this secret shopping, regulation, scope of appointment, etc. when you have, for example, a stockbroker take a seniors life savings and invest them into the highest commission products and losing a good chunk of their money

You make some excellent points. The oversight for MA plans is over the top.

You guys are very generous, thanks for the kind words. I just tell it like I see it.

Has anyone in insurance gotten into politics, or has it just been attorneys? We had one of our ex-commissioners try here for governor but he was soundly defeated. But insurance commissioners don't count anyway. Frank I don't know you, read a lot of your posts, and you are well respected here, how about it?

But the more I think about it though, an insurance agent running for politics probably wouldn't work. The mainstream would paint you as an evil insurance broker, ripping off little old ladies.

Has anyone in insurance gotten into politics, or has it just been attorneys? We had one of our ex-commissioners try here for governor but he was soundly defeated. But insurance commissioners don't count anyway. Frank I don't know you, read a lot of your posts, and you are well respected here, how about it?

But the more I think about it though, an insurance agent running for politics probably wouldn't work. The mainstream would paint you as an evil insurance broker, ripping off little old ladies.

I was involved in politics prior to becoming an insurance agent. Not as an elected official but as a lobbyist for business. I lobbied in Jeff City, MO and DC. I met several elected officials that were former insurance agents. If anything they were looked at more favorably than attorneys. :D

Not all insurance agents only "rip off little old ladies", some also "rip off" the little old men as well. :D:D:D:D

It's interesting that Frank replaces MAs with sups and I replace sups with MAs. The people have had the sup for ten years and can't afford the premiums anymore. I don't offer HMO companies, just United Healthcare PPOs.

By the way, Universal, among other companies that were shut down by CMS for poor management, are running scared.

Attn: Rick Bronstein. Do you see how many agents don't pay much attention to all the rules. I'm not the only one who puts the client above CMS.

It's interesting that Frank replaces MAs with sups and I replace sups with MAs. The people have had the sup for ten years and can't afford the premiums anymore. I don't offer HMO companies, just United Healthcare PPOs.

By the way, Universal, among other companies that were shut down by CMS for poor management, are running scared.

Attn: Rick Bronstein. Do you see how many agents don't pay much attention to all the rules. I'm not the only one who puts the client above CMS.

You're the only one bragging about violating both CMS and company rules. As a marketer you could certainly lose your contract if UHC would read your posts. (Wonder if anyone could possibly point this out to them?) Clearly there is either an ethics issue or a "smarts" issue with you.

Rick

... As a marketer you could certainly lose your contract if UHC would read your posts. (Wonder if anyone could possibly point this out to them?)

Rick

Sounds like someone is going to drop the dime to UHC on him.

There is a lesson here.

Sounds like someone is going to drop the dime to UHC on him.

There is a lesson here.

Let me ask you a few questions Al.

If you knew an agent was "dirty," would you report him or just look the other way?

Don't we who are professional in this industry have an obligation to police ourselves?

Or do we just allow a bad agent to continue giving all of us (at least those of us who write business) a bad name?

Rick

Let me ask you a few questions Al.

If you knew an agent was "dirty," would you report him or just look the other way?

Don't we who are professional in this industry have an obligation to police ourselves?

Or do we just allow a bad agent to continue giving all of us (at least those of us who write business) a bad name?

Rick

Rick, you are a leader and a role-model for many thousands of agents in this venue.

You are the owner of a respected life insurance association.

You were a candidate for the CA insurance commissioner

I have no doubt that whatever you do will be seen by the vast majority as being the right thing.

Obviously, what I think does not matter.

Make the call to UHC if that is what you think is what should be done.

All agents "(at least those of us who write business)" will be well served by knowing that you are on the job and ever vigilant against any and all transgressions no matter what magnitude.

Dear kindly Sergeant Krupke,
You gotta understand,
It's just our bringin' up-ke
That gets us out of hand.
Our mothers all are junkies,
Our fathers all are drunks.
Golly Moses, natcherly we're punks!

Gee, Officer Krupke, we're very upset;
We never had the love that ev'ry child oughta get.
We ain't no delinquents,
We're misunderstood.
Deep down inside us there is good!

Back