Series 65: U4 or U10

DNP Agent

Ohio
I am in career transition mode and studying for my Series 65 exam. I am full-time in my other career(Non-financial) but have been talking to an IA about being employed full-time with them possibly 3 months to a year from now. I have no contract with them but wrote a very small amount of life business with an affiliate company of theirs. Obviously, I have done nothing with the financial planning/securities advisory side of their practice.

My question is, If I file a U10 with FINRA instead of a U4, would I violate FINRA rules?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Disclaimer: I am not a compliance professional or attorney. Your question may be best answered by such a professional.

Would you violate "FINRA rules" by completing two different registration forms? No.

But will they ask which one is the current or correct one should you become registered with a FINRA member firm? Yes.

Form U10 - FINRA

Current Uniform Registration Forms for Electronic Filing in Web CRD - FINRA

If you are sponsored by a FINRA member firm for other securities licenses, you will need to disclose to this firm that you have an RIA registration and you will (most likely) have to cancel this registration - or you will have a conflict of interest with your employer.

Back