SIAA Vs SmartChoice Vs Insurance Noodle

The rater can take up a lot of time. but it's nice to have when requiring. It's also nice for companies that have a quote requirement and not a policy requirement.
What's the difference between a wholesaler and smart choice?? They both don't have binding authority and both take sometime to turn around quotes. Except wholesalers don't require a rater and smart choice does .

. What's the difference between a wholesaler and smart choice?? They both don't have binding authority and both take sometime to turn around quotes. Except wholesalers don't require a rater and smart choice does .

Smart Choice has a wholesale option in the beginning but you do have the choice to go direct with some of their carriers eventually and eve some off the bat. They also help secure relationships with true wholesalers and excess and surplus line programs

Smart Choice has a wholesale option in the beginning but you do have the choice to go direct with some of their carriers eventually and eve some off the bat. They also help secure relationships with true wholesalers and excess and surplus line programs

I asked them if I could do it without the rater, and they replied with a quick "No, we're not a wholesaler."

I asked them if I could do it without the rater, and they replied with a quick "No, we're not a wholesaler."

That's their requirement. To be honest they have a lot of carriers, you need their rater. That is also how they do business on the personal lines side if you're not direct with their carriers

Most of three time same day. Depends what time you submit the request. No requests get done on weekends either.
I think I will sign up with smart choice..I was hoping I can do something about that set up fee of $199. Also do they charge for mvr?? I'm producing for another agency for the time being and I have to pay for running mvr...

If I am part of SIAA, can I also place business with someone like InsureHive.com? Or any other aggregator / wholesaler?

InsureHive would pick up some holes that SIAA leaves out, like Progressive (and ASI) as well as Citizens and Chubb.

Last edited:
Your local siaa doesn't offer progressive or Chubb? How strange.
Do they also keep you from using mgas for business you can't get placed with them? Literally every brokerage ever has Chubb.
I am still in disbelief that any group with personal lines markets doesn't have contracts with those two carriers though...Hanover I kind of understand if they don't.
Also insurehive may not work for you depending on where you are. In the states I'm licensed in, they only have Safeco and allied. I'll still keep my membership for access to allied, but I had really signed up just as much for foremost personal auto (especially in georgia) and asi. No joy on either count.

Back