Starting Scratch Independent In Texas...Cluster Suggestions Needed

From rockclover on Sept 30th: "I really liked what Firefly has to offer and would appreciate any feedback anyone may have. The thing I don’t like, is the two year non compete and not owning your book. Commission is 75% on new business and renewals. However, I also have a 400 monthly fee which covers E&O and system access.

Shawn of Premier is on-point here. There are quite a few agency network groups out there offering very similar membership features, to what rockclover describes here about Firefly. There are also several agency network groups that offer much better deals. Somewhat surprised you didn't find something better than what is described, especially after looking at more than a dozen different options. Good luck with Firefly anyway - hope it works for you. How does their escape clause read?
From the way their website reads, I'll bet there is no escape clause. Ten bucks says their escape clause is a smile and wave goodbye and a boot in the ass as they sail away with the biz you wrote.

Looking back if I knew what I know now, I would have started on my own without a cluster. There are MGAs who offer standard or preferred personal lines and commercial lines. Private message me if you would like. I’m a scratch agent of 6 months and wouldn’t suggest the long term commitment to some of the clusters. There are ways of doing it without them and still be profitable. Would love to talk.

Looking back if I knew what I know now, I would have started on my own without a cluster. There are MGAs who offer standard or preferred personal lines and commercial lines. Private message me if you would like. I’m a scratch agent of 6 months and wouldn’t suggest the long term commitment to some of the clusters. There are ways of doing it without them and still be profitable. Would love to talk.

Just to be clear, I’m not negative or down or the clisters. I’m sure someone is typing that right now. But for my specific situation it wasn’t the best move for my agency. That’s all.

I am new to insurance about to sign with premier or sign up for superior Access if you have another option would love to hear some ideas

I am new to insurance about to sign with premier or sign up for superior Access if you have another option would love to hear some ideas

SIAA is a good one. Good training and support. Long term though will will have to pay to get your book of business out. I would weigh the cost of monthly payments to a group vs the cost to exit later. Shoot me a message if you want to talk.

Hey All,

I have been a producer with a captive carrier for 20 years. I know, silly to not have done this many years ago. A recent layoff has given me the push that I needed. I am looking at different cluster options. Over the last 12 years, I have built up my referral network to consist of over 10 lender and 5 real estate referrals monthly. This allows me to average 38-50k in premium. I am smart enough to know that going on my own for carrier appointments will limit my clients options and therefore my income.

I prefer to do my own service work since that’s how I have always kept my retention above 87%. However, I would like a cluster to have the option of servicing the book once it gets too much for me to handle. It’s okat if it’s a great cluster without servicing as this can be fixed with a part time employee.

I really liked what Firefly has to offer and would appreciate any feedback anyone may have. The thing I don’t like, is the two year non compete and not owning your book. Commission is 75% on new business and renewals. However, I also have a 400 monthly fee which covers E&O and system access.

Any newer agents have advice on the best way to go in Texas?

WAITTTTTTTT did you sign already with a cluster or MGA?

Tell me why superior is terrible and what options are available for a first timer just getting started.

First what state you’re in?

Superior sucks what else can I say?

They will sweet talk you that they have a big list of carriers that you can sell. Like 20+ companies.

Then when you pay the monthly fee. And you try to sell anything with system that they let you use. It doesn’t work most of the time or it will tell you it must go to under writer. The under writer don’t do their job or take one or couple days to give you a quote. If you have someone on the phone and you can’t give a quote within 15 mins then you got problem. Just don’t do it. Waste of money unless you want to try. Be my guess

Have you ever heard of Insurance Soup? They are pretty big in marketing and helping agents set up their own agency. They have a program called CIA which stands for Career Insurance Agents. I haven't done it yet, but planning on joining them. You can give them a try and see if it is a good fir for you.

Back