Talked to the VP of Humana for my area.

I asked him what he thought about Wellcare not paying commissions. He seemed surprised and said he didn't hear anything. When I told him he was so callous about it. He was like, "times are changing", then he said, "last year we had more enrollments from Medicare.gov and through the Humana website then those coming from agents. Blew me away with how he was almost like companies are trying to get rid of agents all together. They don't want to pay commissions if they don't have to. They want us out and are trying to figure out everyday how to do that.
If people are going to jump onto Medicare.gov to enroll, why would his job even be necessary?

I wonder if the Medicare Monster guy saw this and sold 1/2 of his book on account of it?

Seriously, what do we earn but 1.5-2.25 % of the monthly Medicare capitation to be piled on that way? For recruitment , service and member retention alone, I feel like I earn what I make.

Last edited:
I won't argue about your experience with that VP. Our local reps have been great. They have been to the office multiple times and have been responsive and transparent as we have worked through navigating the IRA.

Most importantly, agents are being paid renewals on all of our business with them.

They would definitely prefer to do without us, but if they believed that to be the profitable or pertinent move, it would have happened years ago. Instead, they kept paying more and more in override, bonus, HRA's and marketing.

The gravy train may have slowed down, but this is still a damn fine business. I don't know any good agents who will be skipping meals in 2025.

Echoing @LeeV . . . I am not aware of any health insurance carrier that could be called "agent friendly".

Your contract can be terminated at any time for almost any reason.

Some plans, and especially MA plans, issue new producer agreements/addendums yearly. The translation is, it really doesn't matter what we paid you last year, this year is the only one that counts. We can pay you more, less or not at all.

I asked him what he thought about Wellcare not paying commissions. He seemed surprised and said he didn't hear anything. When I told him he was so callous about it. He was like, "times are changing", then he said, "last year we had more enrollments from Medicare.gov and through the Humana website then those coming from agents. Blew me away with how he was almost like companies are trying to get rid of agents all together. They don't want to pay commissions if they don't have to. They want us out and are trying to figure out everyday how to do that.

This is not totally shocking. I suppose they see us as one of their sources of business.

What do you value you more as an agent, the lead vendor you buy leads from, or the steady referral source you dont have to pay for?

If I told you there was a way to reduce your paid lead cost, and increase your free referral leads, I bet you'd be interested to hear more..

I think the best we can do, with that information, is brainstorm ideas on how to "build a relationship" with the people at the top of these companies, the decision makers. How do we show carriers what value we bring? How well do they know what we do?

The broker managers are probably seen as more of an expense than an asset, like the brokers. We shouldn't rely on our broker managers to relay our value to the overall business building of the carriers.

This is not totally shocking. I suppose they see us as one of their sources of business.

What do you value you more as an agent, the lead vendor you buy leads from, or the steady referral source you dont have to pay for?

If I told you there was a way to reduce your paid lead cost, and increase your free referral leads, I bet you'd be interested to hear more..

I think the best we can do, with that information, is brainstorm ideas on how to "build a relationship" with the people at the top of these companies, the decision makers. How do we show carriers what value we bring? How well do they know what we do?

The broker managers are probably seen as more of an expense than an asset, like the brokers. We shouldn't rely on our broker managers to relay our value to the overall business building of the carriers.

It's like I always say, if you want things done, go right to the top. We need start making friends with the movers and the shakers in the C-Suites, inside CMS, and in the political sphere. That's called "job security."

In regards to your experience with Humana, there's a reason why it's a terrible company that is bleeding money.....terrible management. Even if he thought that way, he never should've said that. That was just dumb.

But hey, now you've got another high-up "friend" to schmooze with. Get my drift? Take these folks out to dinner. Wine and dine them.

I learned business tactics way back in the day when I was a youngin', right out of college. I worked for a larger company that was out of New York City, and was mostly run by Italian guys.

I have my suspicions about who was backing them, but that's neither here nor there. lol. They would come in town from time-to-time and secure clients.

One of them said the key is to literally break bread and have dinner and some drinks. It always stuck with me, and he was so right. Everyone is relaxed, a few drinks are flowing....you make friends.

He also said... everyone loves food and you never negotiate on an empty stomach. They're gonna be hangry. I know it seems simple, but a lot of folks would never really think of that.

And what do friends not do (mostly...there will always be exceptions)? Screw other friends over. These guys were GOOD, and they would secure clients.....and keep them.....like no other.

It's like I always say, if you want things done, go right to the top. We need start making friends with the movers and the shakers in the C-Suites, inside CMS, and in the political sphere. That's called "job security."

In regards to your experience with Humana, there's a reason why it's a terrible company that is bleeding money.....terrible management. Even if he thought that way, he never should've said that. That was just dumb.

But hey, now you've got another high-up "friend" to schmooze with. Get my drift? Take these folks out to dinner. Wine and dine them.

I learned business tactics way back in the day when I was a youngin', right out of college. I worked for a larger company that was out of New York City, and was mostly run by Italian guys.

I have my suspicions about who was backing them, but that's neither here nor there. lol. They would come in town from time-to-time and secure clients.

One of them said the key is to literally break bread and have dinner and some drinks. It always stuck with me, and he was so right. Everyone is relaxed, a few drinks are flowing....you make friends.

He also said... everyone loves food and you never negotiate on an empty stomach. They're gonna be hangry. I know it seems simple, but a lot of folks would never really think of that.

And what do friends not do (mostly...there will always be exceptions)? Screw other friends over. These guys were GOOD, and they would secure clients.....and keep them.....like no other.
Do you think the CEO of Humana would like Applebees?

Back