Why do Medicare Supplements have AOR protection?

The plan worked fine, but the situation rankled. Several years later, I went to another agent and bought the plan I wanted.

Do the rules expressed in this thread mean the second agent did not get a commission on the new plan and was not its agent of record?
Nope. Not the same thing.

The OP's question was most likely about an internal change. Yours was not.
Yours was a new plan, with a new agent. That's considered a new sale.

AOR's have much more protection under OM than they do with MA. And that has to do with how each one is regulated.

OM and supplements are regulated by the states. The agent signs a contract with a carrier that's good until canceled by either party. MA doesn't have that.

This leads me to a question.

I went on Medicare. All the reading I did here led me to believe I should purchase a Medigap plan through an agent.

I went to an agent recommended to me by a forum member. He would not sell me the Medigap plan I wanted to buy. I finally decided to let having an agent take priority and bought the carrier/plan he wanted to sell me.

The plan worked fine, but the situation rankled. Several years later, I went to another agent and bought the plan I wanted.

Do the rules expressed in this thread mean the second agent did not get a commission on the new plan and was not its agent of record?
If the new plan was with a different carrier, the new agent got paid.

I rewrite medigaps all the time and get paid. Not sure if this is a state specific thing.
That would be a carrier specific thing. Not state specific.

When I mentioned that supps were regulated by the states, what I was referring to was how the agent's contract is structured.

Med supp contracts are based on the old life insurance chassis. You've got everything spelled out. 1st year, renewals and vesting.

An agent has a lot more built in protections that he does with his MA contracts.

What about UHC/AARP? She enrolled thru tele-sales in 2008. I’m guessing NO, especially one from so long ago. She is an 82-year old NS female Plan F- $346/mo. I don’t think that it is too much considering her age. I wrote Plan G upgrade to see if it would go through. I doubt it since she showed me her chest incision from an operation in 2020. The 5-year mark is the healthy cut-off. She also takes spironactalone (sp?) which I think is for CHF?
They want the insured to just call in and talk with them about moving plans. The agent keeps the biz with UHC even if the call center is involved. I made the mistake two years ago of writing a med supp after the one year switch to MAPD. GI pays me $1.00/monthly for her plan. Hours of work as I went to her house, spoke to her on the phone x3...

They want the insured to just call in and talk with them about moving plans. The agent keeps the biz with UHC even if the call center is involved. I made the mistake two years ago of writing a med supp after the one year switch to MAPD. GI pays me $1.00/monthly for her plan. Hours of work as I went to her house, spoke to her on the phone x3...
I know what you mean. Which state are you in? Texas pays about $38/YEAR !!! for a GI supp. I want the practice of it without doing harm to the prospect. It turns out that AARP will only offer her Level 2- a “no go”.

Back