Telemarketing

This has me thinking...what day is senior discount day, aka Blue Hair Day, at Wal-Mart? Handing out fliers sounds like fun :biggrin:

Slick, every day is "senior day", everywhere. I met Jacqueline for lunch today in Jeff City. We went to our favorite German restaurant for lunch. We go there all the time so the owner knows us well. He happened to mention his birthday was next month and he was going to be 65.

He speaks with a very heavy German accent and I know he doesn't understand a lot of what people say.

After lunch I went back to the kitchen and told him I was sure he already had an agent and asked him if he understood everything about Medicare. He said he was talking to an Allstate agent and he wanted to sell him a Plan F for $156 per month but he really didn't understand it.

Although the Allstate agent lives in Jeff City he said he has never come to his restaurant for lunch or dinner.

I told Plan D was a much better value and was only $102 per month. He asked if I could meet with him tomorrow at 9:30 am and have me explain everything to him and that he would prefer to take a policy with me.

I screwed off all day today and still sold my one policy a day.

My whole point is that when you are an agent you need to be in a "prospecting mode" all the time. He is a friend and I really didn't do it to make a sale, but to help him understand. As a result, I will make a sale tomorrow.

I have sold a lot of insurance just offering to help someone understand Medicare and Part D. It is just another way to prospect.

Right there with the NAA spot, eh?
ROregon.png

Sorry, it just seemed so funny when I saw it!

Okay, so I've had trouble hiring telemarketers (at $10 per hour) and monitoring their phone calls in my office! (Heavy crackberry diseases) How do you know your people are actually doing the work?

Thanks.

Okay, so I've had trouble hiring telemarketers (at $10 per hour) and monitoring their phone calls in my office! (Heavy crackberry diseases) How do you know your people are actually doing the work?

Thanks.

They give you leads. ;) Just kidding... sort of! haha...

I've adopted Johns suggestion for paying telemarketers. I tell them I will pay them $15/hour but they have to guarantee me at least 2 leads per hour. Basically, it comes out to $7.50/lead for me this way.... which is affordable. Basically they are paid per lead... I personally wouldn't ever hire a telemarketer for a flat hourly rate, unless they had really proven themselves already. Even then though, you are running a risk. I'd rather give them the parameters, and if they meet them, they get paid. If they don't, they don't get paid. :)

Thanks.

It's much easier to hire people to go B to B then finding telemarketers. I ran two B to B businesses totaling around 8 years. A lot of people really like to be out of the house. When I posted my ad for people to go B to B I had to yank it down because I got too many replies. When I was regional manager for Energy Marketing we'd put out ads for B to B reps and most days I'd group interview over 50 people. That's per day every day.

One of the main reasons is it's a job based on personality and results, not a resume or a degree. Another reason is it's part-time a lot of people are looking for legitimate part-time jobs. It's also not 100% commish like most B to B job.

I'm paying $10/hr but also $5 per physical lead generated. Anyone can generate 2 leads per hour so that ends up being a $20/hr position.

Since I have a base pay it's mandatory that they generate at least 2 leads per hour - verified leads. I also lie - that's right, flat out lie. They have to keep a log of which businesses they went into and I tell them I spot-check phone verify and ask if someone came in with a flyer. I obviously don't do that but if they think I do that's all that counts. Other than that, just the 2 lead per hour requirement keeps them honest.

Last edited:
Back