• Do you have any victories you'd like to share for the month of May? Help us celebrate others by posting here.
The cost of a new Tesla Model S is about $95,000, but the experience of blowing one up is priceless.

Finnish man Tuomas Katainen bought his Tesla in 2013, and it rode like a dream — for about the first 930 miles. “It was an excellent car,” he said. “Then the error codes hit.”

After a month in the shop, mechanics said he’d need the “whole battery cell” replaced, at a price of 20,000 euros, or about $23,900.

https://nypost.com/2021/12/24/tesla-explodes-after-mechanics-charge-man-23k-for-new-battery/
Crazy Stuff

A friend bought a used Nissan Leaf a few years ago . . . paid around $14k for it ($25k new before taxpayer subsidies. I believe it had 60k miles on it . . . batteries need to be replaced around 120k at a cost of $12k or so.

He bought the car as a commuter car . . . work was 5 miles. He also played golf 2x to 3x weekly . . . always on public courses that had coupons for green fees and/or cart rental. He had to charge his car overnight (110V) every 150k miles or so. A couple of times he wanted to go out of state to play golf and had to rent a car.

He was accident prone (totaled 2 or 3 cars before the Leaf) and only carried liability. The cars he had before the Leaf were "cash cars" . . . about $3k or less . . . but he financed the Leaf with little or nothing down . . . and then totaled that car after 6 months.

At least he didn't have it long enough to replace the battery . . .

A few other friends have EV's and brag about the no emissions and how they are saving the planet.

I just smile and nod . . .

I rented a 3 out of curiosity. I am not going to argue about carbon footprint and so forth but I will say it is a fun car to drive. Fast, and that instant torque is cool as hell.

Some golf carts and dodge cars (carnival) are peppy too.

Yup the EV may need a new battery every 4-5 years but an IC car requires fuel every day it's driven.

Your statement is not exactly accurate. You have omitted the cost of charging the car, which is the equivalent of buying gasoline for a car. By all estimates, the cost of recharging is at least the same, or perhaps slightly more, than the cost of purchasing gas. Using your limited analogy, the cost of operating a gasoline driven vehicle should be less because while the fuel may be approximately the same, the cost of the battery replacement is significantly higher than that of a gas driven car.

Your statement is not exactly accurate. You have omitted the cost of charging the car, which is the equivalent of buying gasoline for a car. By all estimates, the cost of recharging is at least the same, or perhaps slightly more, than the cost of purchasing gas. Using your limited analogy, the cost of operating a gasoline driven vehicle should be less because while the fuel may be approximately the same, the cost of the battery replacement is significantly higher than that of a gas driven car.
There are 20 moving parts in a motor vs 2000 in an ICE. Which do you think is more efficient at converting its "fuel" into energy? Asking for a friend.

The only natural causes in the past that caused this much change to our climate in such a short amount of time.... were giant asteroids hitting the earth or super volcanoes erupting (which are half a continent large).

Both of those things caused wide scale extinctions of the dominant living species on earth.

Human induced climate change has been equal to a giant asteroid hitting the earth or a super volcano erupting. Which are both one in a millennia type of occurrences for this planet.

What we all need to do is trust the science. Decades ago we were being warned about global cooling. Scratch that. Then it was global warming. Scratch that. Now it's climate change. I guess we are supposed to trust them this time? At least we have celebrities and politicians to fly their private jets from their mansions to events to remind us of the the facts like climate change we need to be focused on.

Back