Let's assume $400 a month for fuel.
x 12 = $4,800 a year
x 5 years = $24,000

How much was that replacement battery again?

The only way this can make sense is if you incorporate any tax benefits for buying it.

The highest costs for my car will be to replace the brake actuator for about $3-4k along with the front control arms. Lexus would charge me about $5k for that. I found the control arms from Rock Auto for about $700 and then had a mechanic install them for me for about $1k. So I came out ahead over the Lexus dealer. Everything else is just slightly above the cost of maintenance on a regular Toyota - as expected.
Even if maintenance is a saw off, one vehicle pollutes less. And as EV's take over the market, mfg costs will decline and newer technologies will emerge making them the even smarter choice. In the 70's, peopled laughed at 4 cylinder and even 6 cylinder engines.

Even if maintenance is a saw off, one vehicle pollutes less. And as EV's take over the market, mfg costs will decline and newer technologies will emerge making them the even smarter choice. In the 70's, peopled laughed at 4 cylinder and even 6 cylinder engines.

If I still have to replace a hybrid battery, even at HALF the cost of Tesla ($12,000)... that's still enough to buy the whole car I've got.

The same model shown here has 414,000 miles on it. Needs a bit of work, but still runs and drives well. No "$12k+" hybrid battery replacement here. And no 1-hour charging stations to go across the country either. So far, I've seen plenty of Prius's require hybrid battery purchases for $3k+.

The economics don't yet favor EV... even if they are better for the environment. And new EV are quite costly still.

181e5d2dd9db6bee9302ce82e8f2e199.jpg

You are assuming the battery goes dead after 5 years, it may not.
You are also assuming that the cost of the battery 5 years from now will be 23k...probabably not.
You also get free high speed charging for a year, for now.
I hooked a charger on the outside of my home ($1000).
My electric bills are $10 -$20 higher than normal.
I am not a high mileage driver.
The Tesla is not for everybody. I like the look of the car, the way it drives and the quality of the components.
I have a base model 3.
I did not get the extended battery because it forced me to get a bunch of options I did not want......i.e.heated rear seats, I live in Florida.
Do I save money? Maybe.
I like the car and thought it was a good value.

A grown man making fun of a child is disgusting. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Morals matter.

Doesnt matter if you disagree with her. She is a child. There is no reason in the world for you to make fun of a child.

You need to take a long hard look in the mirror and try to figure out why those who are different than you make you so scared.

Last edited:
Maybe someone buys a Telsa just because they WANT one. Its a badass car. The higher end models can beat most sports cars in a 0-60 test.

And forget about Tesla... Mercedes... BMW... Volvo... FERRARI .... Porsche... Lamborghini... all have electric cars in the works now.

Anyone who would compare it to a golf cart is devoid of reality.

I did not get the extended battery because it forced me to get a bunch of options I did not want......i.e.heated rear seats, I live in Florida

I've got heated front and rear seats and a heated steering wheel ... and I live in California. Strangely enough I love them. It gets cold enough and I love the heat for my back at times.

I wonder how much these would cost without the massive Govt funding?

How has the U.S. government encouraged electric-vehicle adoption so far?
In 2009, former President Barack Obama unveiled $2.4 billion in funding to motivate car companies to build more electric and plug-in hybrid vehicles. As part of that initiative, the government began offering a $7,500 tax credit that car buyers could use to help defray the higher upfront cost of purchasing a plug-in model.

How is the Biden administration pushing to accelerate electric-vehicle adoption?

The roughly $1 trillion infrastructure package passed by Congress and signed into law in November includes $7.5 billion to fund efforts to build a national network of electric-vehicle charging stations.
How Tax Credits and Government Subsidies Have Aided the Electric-Vehicle Market

Back