The I Love Selling FE "February to Remember" Thread

I do apologize. I was assuming you did the over 65 crowd. That explains the two-call close.

Once again though, on the FE mailers....what are your demographics. If you are not using $0 for your low income level, you're missing much of the FE crowd. The ones with a higher income usually already have something in place, or the best you could do might be a little add-on policy or something. Also, don't try to market to the 50 year old folks. Go more like 60 - 78 or so. You might even want to tighten it up from there....say ages 62-75.

I think most of my mailings have been 0 to 50K in income and 50 to 85 in age. I know I have varied that some to keep my weekly mailing budget in the $700-$1000 range. I'll tighten that up some.

Its a work in progress since I haven't had a lot of appointments to nail it down. But I try to get them to tell me why they sent the card in. Then I make sure to contrast it with the AARP product or maybe Globe so that they get the idea that it IS permanent, there will be no rate increases, and coverage, either full or partial, from day one. Then I usually go into budget. I'm not that great at getting a $ amount up front. If I can't get them to declare a dollar figure then I don't either and I start in with getting a pharma list and ask the medical questions (generally I'll know enough at that point to know whose questions I should use. By this point, even if it's still murky, I'll develop some idea of what they want to see either budget wise or coverage wise and I'll proceed to quote either a 10K and a 5K policy or a 10K and a 7.5K.

I am getting stuck with, "I can't do this till next month when I have money," "I've got PTSD and can't think clearly I want to run this by my VA guy...I trust him and he's given me good advice for years," "I want to figure out exactly how much coverage I want because I want to pay for my funeral and have nothing left over to anyone." Ya know...the typical stuff.

I could be nitpicking, but sounds a little early to get into benefits and contrasting the competition. You don't want to lose a few trust notches, when you can simply say you can shop the market and find the best plan with the lowest prices tailored to your specific needs & what you qualify for. And after you ask a bunch of questions, now you can do that educating about the benefits and the contrasts with term etc with a preface something like "Now based on everything you said, here's what would be perfect for you (and why)... and based on everything you said, here's what you have to watch out for and stay away from and here's why...
Also not sure why paying next month is a big obstacle..
Are you giving a 3 quote close, or selling premium?
Like you said probably just gotta get in more doors and it'll work out.

Its a work in progress since I haven't had a lot of appointments to nail it down. But I try to get them to tell me why they sent the card in. Then I make sure to contrast it with the AARP product or maybe Globe so that they get the idea that it IS permanent, there will be no rate increases, and coverage, either full or partial, from day one. Then I usually go into budget. I'm not that great at getting a $ amount up front. If I can't get them to declare a dollar figure then I don't either and I start in with getting a pharma list and ask the medical questions (generally I'll know enough at that point to know whose questions I should use. By this point, even if it's still murky, I'll develop some idea of what they want to see either budget wise or coverage wise and I'll proceed to quote either a 10K and a 5K policy or a 10K and a 7.5K.

I am getting stuck with, "I can't do this till next month when I have money," "I've got PTSD and can't think clearly I want to run this by my VA guy...I trust him and he's given me good advice for years," "I want to figure out exactly how much coverage I want because I want to pay for my funeral and have nothing left over to anyone." Ya know...the typical stuff.

One approach that some agents do use that I disagree on, is to first find out what their budget is before finding out how much coverage they need. IMO you should find out what they need first and then try to find something that fits the budget. Get them to agree on the amount that they need first, see? Now you can always come back and at the very least and get them to buy some amount, even if it's not the amount they know they need. Some is better than none and it isn't getting any cheaper, nor are they getting younger.

One approach that some agents do use that I disagree on, is to first find out what their budget is before finding out how much coverage they need. IMO you should find out what they need first and then try to find something that fits the budget. Get them to agree on the amount that they need first, see? Now you can always come back and at the very least and get them to buy some amount, even if it's not the amount they know they need. Some is better than none and it isn't getting any cheaper, nor are they getting younger.
Well, it really doesn't matter which approach you use.. If they can't afford it they aren't buying, or if they do buy they won't keep it... So, why not determine what the pocketbook will tolerate before going any further?

@benneaf, you are getting a lot of great advise. An observation from a non FE agent.

If you talk like you type that may be some of the issue. Or I should say as much as you type. I am a pretty chatty guy also. So I have to control myself or they are going to go into a coma. Or say yeah come back, and not let me back in.

Just an observation

*knock knock knock*

"WTF do you want?"

"Hey Ms. Mary, I'm just here to follow up with you on the benefits you requested. We want to let you know we did receive your request <hold the lead card out to them waving it like a banner>. Great news! You qualify! And I just need a few minutes to go over it with you! May I come in" <smiling, excited, nodding your damn fool head off, and moving toward the door>

Get inside, sit them at the kitchen table, and use JD's three questions to have them tell you why they sent the dang card in - once you have that reason, present and close the damn deal - they need the insurance, after all, they just told you that when you asked them JD's three questions.

Two call close for a little FE payment? I have now been full time for just over a year. I can count the number of times I successfully wrote a two call close on one finger. One! And that was a complete surprise. She told me no the day I was there and she called me back the next day saying to come back and write her up. I've gone back to write more coverage, and I've gone back to write a spouse, brother, sister, child, friend who I was referred to ... but if I don't write the person who sent the card in that day, I'm not going to write them 'til the next time they send the card back in.

"I can't do it til next month when I got money."

That's great! This program can't start today anyway. First we need to fill out the request for coverage and make sure you qualify. Then we'll have it all set up so you don't need anything today! Now grab your ID and SS card, real quick while I start filling this out ...

"I got to run this by my daughter, son, lawyer, parole officer."

"Great! Right now however, you don't have anything to run by them. Let's see if you can even get approved first. Then, once you have the policy, you can run it by your imaginary stock broker when they'll be able to actually see it in black and white. <looking down at your application> And what state were you born in?

"I don't want to leave any of them ingrates any money except enough to bury me with"

No problem! As I showed you in the presentation, most experts tell we currently need to budget about $10,000 for our burial or cremation. Let's see if you can get approved for that amount, and once we get the policy, we can change the beneficiary to any funeral home you choose and they will make sure to spend every penny on your funeral and your good for nothing family will get nothing. <look back down at your application> Now were you a juvenile when you killed your mother, or were you convicted as an adult?

Your presentation sounds like it probably sucks. If you had a good presentation, you would get very few of these objections at the close. You'll still hear them before you get into your presentation. When you get them early, just smile and say "No problem" and just get right back into your presentation. By the time you get into the close, all those objections should be gone and they should be sold and the only obstacle should be medically qualifying them and budget. If they bring it up at the end, you have either failed to gain their trust, you failed to get the need up front and circle back to it as you made your presentation, or, in a very few cases - the objection is real.

Whoever your up line is should have a presentation that works that they can share with you.

When it comes to presenting $$$'s, I like to try to get the budget up front (after the presentation but before quoting a plan): "Now, Ms Mary, if I can get you the coverage you need so that your family won't have to struggle with these costs when that time comes, would $200 a month be comfortable and affordable for you?" <that comes straight from Tim Winders and I love it. The best is when they look real thoughtful and say "No ... no, I don't think I could afford $200 a month>

Again, from Winders: "That's ok, Ms. Mary. We have many programs available that fit all budgets. If I can find a program for you that fully protects your family, would $150/month be comfortable and affordable for you?" Then just walk it down - usually, at this point, they might even give you a number. For example, I ask if $150 works, and they'll look at me and say "$150 for the both of us?" Why, yes indeed, $150 for the both of you. That works, right?

Look, I have days I go out and strike out all day long. I have people who won't let me in. I have people who let me in but won't buy no matter what. That happens to me all the time, and I'm prepared. You don't strike me as though you're prepared. I do ok at this, and I'm always preparing. I listen non-stop to my upline's training vidoes and the training available for free from guys like David Duford and Doug Massi.

I can't tell you how many times I've listened to that Tim Winders interview and all the JD interviews! Just recently we drove three hours to my brother-in-law's restaurant in up state NY, and I had my ear buds in listening that Tim Winders interview on the way up, and listened, again, to the JD interviews on the way home. Everytime I listen to those guys I feel I have learned something new. These are guys who have absolutely crushed it selling FE and you can pick their brains for free by taking advantage of all the materials available on youtube and for free at FEX's web site. When I'm in my car, I am listening to something that will make me a better FE Agent.

When I first started, I recorded and practiced my presentation. Now, I don't do that anymore, but I did it for about two months, and whenever I did at a slight change, I'd practice that as well.

Your presentation should not be "a work in progress." If you went out with me and sat with me on 10 presentations, 9/10 you will hear the exact same presentation word for word start to finish. The 10th will be the lay down who has her policies out on the table and knows she wants her cash value back and a new policy.

And learn to nod your head and just say "No problem!" with a smile. You do not have to overcome every objection. The ones you hear early on aren't really objections anyway. David Duford has some really good videos on objection rebuttals, and Doug Massi has a great video on rebuttals for objections when door knocking.

Dang I can't believe how long this post is. I'm done with this thread :wacko:

*knock knock knock*

"WTF do you want?"

"Hey Ms. Mary, I'm just here to follow up with you on the benefits you requested. We want to let you know we did receive your request <hold the lead card out to them waving it like a banner>. Great news! You qualify! And I just need a few minutes to go over it with you! May I come in" <smiling, excited, nodding your damn fool head off, and moving toward the door>

Get inside, sit them at the kitchen table, and use JD's three questions to have them tell you why they sent the dang card in - once you have that reason, present and close the damn deal - they need the insurance, after all, they just told you that when you asked them JD's three questions.

Two call close for a little FE payment? I have now been full time for just over a year. I can count the number of times I successfully wrote a two call close on one finger. One! And that was a complete surprise. She told me no the day I was there and she called me back the next day saying to come back and write her up. I've gone back to write more coverage, and I've gone back to write a spouse, brother, sister, child, friend who I was referred to ... but if I don't write the person who sent the card in that day, I'm not going to write them 'til the next time they send the card back in.

"I can't do it til next month when I got money."

That's great! This program can't start today anyway. First we need to fill out the request for coverage and make sure you qualify. Then we'll have it all set up so you don't need anything today! Now grab your ID and SS card, real quick while I start filling this out ...

"I got to run this by my daughter, son, lawyer, parole officer."

"Great! Right now however, you don't have anything to run by them. Let's see if you can even get approved first. Then, once you have the policy, you can run it by your imaginary stock broker when they'll be able to actually see it in black and white. <looking down at your application> And what state were you born in?

"I don't want to leave any of them ingrates any money except enough to bury me with"

No problem! As I showed you in the presentation, most experts tell we currently need to budget about $10,000 for our burial or cremation. Let's see if you can get approved for that amount, and once we get the policy, we can change the beneficiary to any funeral home you choose and they will make sure to spend every penny on your funeral and your good for nothing family will get nothing. <look back down at your application> Now were you a juvenile when you killed your mother, or were you convicted as an adult?

Your presentation sounds like it probably sucks. If you had a good presentation, you would get very few of these objections at the close. You'll still hear them before you get into your presentation. When you get them early, just smile and say "No problem" and just get right back into your presentation. By the time you get into the close, all those objections should be gone and they should be sold and the only obstacle should be medically qualifying them and budget. If they bring it up at the end, you have either failed to gain their trust, you failed to get the need up front and circle back to it as you made your presentation, or, in a very few cases - the objection is real.

Whoever your up line is should have a presentation that works that they can share with you.

When it comes to presenting $$$'s, I like to try to get the budget up front (after the presentation but before quoting a plan): "Now, Ms Mary, if I can get you the coverage you need so that your family won't have to struggle with these costs when that time comes, would $200 a month be comfortable and affordable for you?" <that comes straight from Tim Winders and I love it. The best is when they look real thoughtful and say "No ... no, I don't think I could afford $200 a month>

Again, from Winders: "That's ok, Ms. Mary. We have many programs available that fit all budgets. If I can find a program for you that fully protects your family, would $150/month be comfortable and affordable for you?" Then just walk it down - usually, at this point, they might even give you a number. For example, I ask if $150 works, and they'll look at me and say "$150 for the both of us?" Why, yes indeed, $150 for the both of you. That works, right?

Look, I have days I go out and strike out all day long. I have people who won't let me in. I have people who let me in but won't buy no matter what. That happens to me all the time, and I'm prepared. You don't strike me as though you're prepared. I do ok at this, and I'm always preparing. I listen non-stop to my upline's training vidoes and the training available for free from guys like David Duford and Doug Massi.

I can't tell you how many times I've listened to that Tim Winders interview and all the JD interviews! Just recently we drove three hours to my brother-in-law's restaurant in up state NY, and I had my ear buds in listening that Tim Winders interview on the way up, and listened, again, to the JD interviews on the way home. Everytime I listen to those guys I feel I have learned something new. These are guys who have absolutely crushed it selling FE and you can pick their brains for free by taking advantage of all the materials available on youtube and for free at FEX's web site. When I'm in my car, I am listening to something that will make me a better FE Agent.

When I first started, I recorded and practiced my presentation. Now, I don't do that anymore, but I did it for about two months, and whenever I did at a slight change, I'd practice that as well.

Your presentation should not be "a work in progress." If you went out with me and sat with me on 10 presentations, 9/10 you will hear the exact same presentation word for word start to finish. The 10th will be the lay down who has her policies out on the table and knows she wants her cash value back and a new policy.

And learn to nod your head and just say "No problem!" with a smile. You do not have to overcome every objection. The ones you hear early on aren't really objections anyway. David Duford has some really good videos on objection rebuttals, and Doug Massi has a great video on rebuttals for objections when door knocking.

Dang I can't believe how long this post is. I'm done with this thread :wacko:
Long or not, it is a great post... :noteworthy:

"Your presentation sounds like it probably sucks. If you had a good presentation, you would get very few of these objections at the close."

As I used to say back in High School (30+ yrs ago)..."no shit Sherlock." The first 3 times I pitched Medicare it sucked ass too, but I got better. ;-)

Back