The Ink is Still Wet on my 220 General Lines License FL: Advice?

Boca Grande

Hello Insurance-Fourms members,

I recently passed my 220 General lines License in FL. I've been reading the fourms and I have been wanting to get into Insurance since 2013. Life and travel have kept me busy but now is my opportunity to take a jab at insurance sales. I obtained my Life, Health, and Annuity license in California last year through Primerica. At the time I was a Aircraft mechanic on a temp contract. I did the Primerica as a taste to see what insurance was like since it was basically free. Primerica was helpful in getting my license but pushy on me selling policys without really having true knowledge of the inner workings of Primerica.... Needless to say after some research and working 60 hours a week at my Aircraft MX job I didn't really have the time to really grind at it (also not knowing anyone out there to sell life policys).

Anyways, I relocated back to FL near my hometown and I've taken a part time job as a roofer to study and figure out my next move in the insurance industry. My whole goal since 2013 was to be a insurance agent specializing in Marine and Aircraft insurance. I have a mechanical backround in both and enjoy really anything related to it. I also have the opportunity to sell All-state benefit policys (all except life) and be fed leads through another local independent agent. I don't think that will keep me busy full time but it will be helpful to generate some income and sell what seems to be a good product(s).

I have a "friend" who recently started a independent P&C shop and when I asked for advice he basically told me I wouldn't be able to pick up carriers. With no experience I was "dunzo" according to him.

I would really like to be setup as a independent agent selling All-state benefits, Marine, Classic car, and private aircraft insurance online. As time goes on and I expand my knowledge of the industry I would reach out for other lines and try to put a agency and office together if possible.

My questions are: 1. Are my chances really that slim of getting appointed with carriers as a independent agent/broker? 2. I have to setup a agency and appoint my license with the state of FL correct? 3. I have to obtain E&O, FAIA, etc as a independent agent with working from home with a online office per say? 4. Should I go work with a P&C agency for a year to learn the ropes?

Any advice is much appreciated. Like I said, I would like to specialize in Benefits, Aircraft and Marine for now. I have a bit of a market I think I can hit with it. I just need some advice on how to get started legally and tips from some of you veterans.

thanks

Back