"The Stall"......how do you deal with it?

My thoughts:

A well thought out introduction can set the right tone for the entire presentation. By tossing in a healthy dose of reality you can eliminate any early pressure that the client might feel.

“Mr. Consumer. Just so you understand how this goes, I don’t expect you to hand over your wallet when we’re done, but I do expect that we’ll be able to determine if I have something that suits your needs and budget. At that point, we can decide what the next step will be. Fair enough?” (Wait for the yes)

By saying this, you create a logical situation for the consumer to envision. You have established that you will earn the client’s business and based on that, you will mutually decide what the next step will be by working as a team instead of working against each other.

1.) "I understand, what SPECIFICALLY is it that you need to think about?" Maybe I can help!

2.) "I undestand, You know Mr. Client, there was a study done at Harvard that shows that successful people like yourself make decisions on the spot 86% of the time------the only reason they don't the other 14% of time is due to 2 things, not enough information, or not enough money. Which is it in your case?"

When a policy needs to be on the books for 12 months for me to earn full commission, I've already seen through the years that the cancellation rate is insane when people do not want coverage.

You cannot create "want" - they either have a need or they don't. If they don't have a need, a highly skilled closer can indeed create a need....then they can check their "NSF" column on their statement 3 months later.

Great point John, that's why it's important to qualify early and often throughout the presentation, trial closes and preference closes can flush out the rats pretty well.

The idiots, the broke, the stallers, etc...are the worlds worst clients anyway. Anytime they get the smallest bill you hear from them.

I do not sign up people who are broke...and you know who they are 20 seconds into the conversation.

Broke people stall "well...I need to look into this." What they are saying is "I need to get my checking account positive."

1.) "I understand, what SPECIFICALLY is it that you need to think about?" Maybe I can help!

2.) "I undestand, You know Mr. Client, there was a study done at Harvard that shows that successful people like yourself make decisions on the spot 86% of the time------the only reason they don't the other 14% of time is due to 2 things, not enough information, or not enough money. Which is it in your case?"

thats way to caned and sounds like a car salesman.....

first off if u have built massive credibility and trust... easy to do if you can back it up... in my case, former public office holder and the guy that got his wife out of the war zone in the middle east(every one heard about it or after i take them to my website and the read the story online they are like... oh yea.. i remember u)

next if you are a broker and offer pert near every product then there is no need to shop anyone else, cause i got 'em all mr prospect.

now, ask this question: ok, mr prospect, when do u need this coverage to start, or when is that rate increase from xyz company going into effect/... u just created the time fram of action... back it up 30 days and say.. ok, as u know it will take about a month to get anything started.. so now the decision time has been established.

now, if you "drill" the living crap out of the client with questions about what his wants and needs are u can provide almost all the companies that offer what he wants.. quote them all to him and then say I recomend this company( the lowest price almost every time) and here is why...

now say dosent that look better than where u are right now?

now say this... ok, here is what u are gonna get out of me... first, this stuff about u shopping the coverage ever year ends NOW! if you had an agent that was local, and also was a broker he would be the one that is moving you to another policy and thats what i will be doing... in 12 months regardless of weather u want me to or not i will be calling yiou to run another price and benefit search... if we can do better we will explore moving to that company... i will shop it for u.... i both want and need your business and it just makes sence mr prospect for me to research your options in 12 months, because if i don't you will....and then i loose you to some clown located in flordia of california..

then say, ok... u need the sept. 1st effective date then here is how this will go down, i am gonna log into the secure websit application at xyz insurance company and we are gonna go through the questionaire process, i will then submit it to the company and will push it through underwriting... btw my prospect, no money out of pocket till it get issued... once it gets issued i will call you and let you know the offer... if i like the offer and you agree i will then assist you in canceling the policy you now have. sound cool? great,

boom, do the application on the spot....

in short... the key is having massive credibilty and having all companies to quote

what SPECIFICALLY is it that you need to think about?"

That's a bit confrontational, don't you think?

If that is the effect you are trying to acheve, then go for it. Otherwise I would jettison that response.

"I undestand, You know Mr. Client, there was a study done at Harvard that shows that successful people like yourself make decisions on the spot 86% of the time------the only reason they don't the other 14% of time is due to 2 things, not enough information, or not enough money. Which is it in your case?"

Another canned response. Can't imagine this one works either.

Have you looked at the date on those sales books you are reading? Does it have pictures of a guy in a dark suit, narrow tie and Brylcream in his hair?

If so, it might be time to visit your local bookstore for some fresh material.

Charlie, I really do like your contributions but you are right on one thing. You can't spell worth a damn.

Back