Time Limit on a Filed Claim?

confused81

Friends,

I have a car which was rear ended by a farmers insured driver. The cop wrote up a report and I filed a complaint with both the insurnace companies. The rear ending driver was founda t fault and farmers completely accepted the responsibility and gave me a claim number.

My car's rear bumper needs replacement/repairs.

I forgot to read the second letter properly which said "we have tried to reach you please confirm that you intend to pursue this claim". Well its been more than a year. I want to know if there's a time limit on such payments?

If yes what are my options if my time limit has expired? The document I got from the farmers insurance does not state any time limit. Then how can they make me adhere to one?

Thanks a lot for all your help.

-An

How much damage was done that you were willing to wait over a year to get it fixed?

The reason for the time limit is after a period of time, it becomes almost impossible to determine what damage was done by what incident.

Call Farmers and ask them to complete the claim. Have you asked them yet? They will ask why the delay in completing this.

If the time limit is expired, which is covered under state law, you have 2 options:
- Fix the car and pay for it.
- Continue to ignore the damage.

But, I doubt it to late to finalize the claim. Famers will have closed it out but they will open it again. There is a distinct time limit to file a claim, but it gets a lot murkier on actually processing a claim after its filed.

Dan

Usually, most insurance agencies don't have a hard and fast rule on filing a claim. I'm with djs on this one. The company may close the case out, but they should be able to open it back up again. With that being said, if your car undergoes further damage from not fixing the damage caused by the initial accident, I'm sure the insurance company won't cover this (and they really shouldn't have to).

Back