Tips for New Agents

topgun19

Hey guys, I'm just now getting into the insurance career field and absolutely love it! It is honestly an addicting job, never before have I been eager to wake up ang get to work.

A few details about my company/situation:
  • Captive Agent
  • Auto, Home, Health, Life, LTC
  • Restricted to my state only

I just had a few questions for any veteran agents out there.

• What are some of the best tips you have for a new agent?
  • Are leads REALLY worth it?
  • How many calls should I be making per day to my book of business that was coded to me
  • Best methods of gaining new clients and building my book

I look forward to talking and engaging with everyone!

1) Pick a LOB and get really, really, good at it. Then add in other lines once you have a decent initial BOB.

2) Yes. Leads are really worth it. Prospecting is the thing I like least. Leads give me someone to talk to and have at least shown "some" interest in what I have to offer. I think of it more as "advertising". All businesses should have an advertising budget. Your's should be no different.

3) At the risk of sounding like a "back in my day".........when I started it was 600 Calls, 200 Contacts, 20 Appointments. This was for the week. That was off a cold list though. We maybe (I have an appointment setter) make 30-50 calls a week now on leads.

4) Leads. BUT, there are lots of considerations for that including the type of business, experience level (in sales), how much cash you can afford to "lose", whether you are f2f or telesales etc.

1) Pick a LOB and get really, really, good at it. Then add in other lines once you have a decent initial BOB.

2) Yes. Leads are really worth it. Prospecting is the thing I like least. Leads give me someone to talk to and have at least shown "some" interest in what I have to offer. I think of it more as "advertising". All businesses should have an advertising budget. Your's should be no different.

3) At the risk of sounding like a "back in my day".........when I started it was 600 Calls, 200 Contacts, 20 Appointments. This was for the week. That was off a cold list though. We maybe (I have an appointment setter) make 30-50 calls a week now on leads.

4) Leads. BUT, there are lots of considerations for that including the type of business, experience level (in sales), how much cash you can afford to "lose", whether you are f2f or telesales etc.

What lead company would you suggest and what is the price/lead range? Right now, I do not have a lot of cash that I can afford to lose (I don't want to put my family in a financial burden)

I understand that this career field is very high risk high reward, and I am 100% completely ok with that! In fact, I love it! It's what drives me to keep digging and digging for more and more business. Getting in front of people and talking f2f doesn't bother me at all! I actually prefer that over talking on the phone.

Do you recommend me just getting out in the community (walking around Walmart talking to people passing out business cards, etc.)

Again, thank you for your input! I love soaking up every single bit of information I possibly can that will better myself and my business

What lead company would you suggest and what is the price/lead range? Right now, I do not have a lot of cash that I can afford to lose (I don't want to put my family in a financial burden)

I understand that this career field is very high risk high reward, and I am 100% completely ok with that! In fact, I love it! It's what drives me to keep digging and digging for more and more business. Getting in front of people and talking f2f doesn't bother me at all! I actually prefer that over talking on the phone.

Do you recommend me just getting out in the community (walking around Walmart talking to people passing out business cards, etc.)

Again, thank you for your input! I love soaking up every single bit of information I possibly can that will better myself and my business

What is the product you are mostly trying to sell?

Interesting thing about this business is that it often takes time to build the skills need to survive... but while doing that you must survive.

Keep people skills in the on position... always be listening and learning to better them.

I think there are 3 must:
  1. You must be able to start a conversation.
  2. You must be able to pivot the conversation and lead it in the direction of your product.
  3. You must be able to close the sale... or go hungry and broke.
There are many more items that could be discussed but that I think that is it in a nut shell.

I would strongly suggest that you go do some cold door knocking, work at getting in the door and then take notes on the discussion... you may not make a sale, but this is where you learn... right in front of the audience you will need to address day in and day out.

You might approach the door like this, "Hello, my name is ****, and I am doing a survey on what people are looking for in a good insurance advisor. Mind if I ask you a few questions?"
Have a list of prepared questions and ask away.

This isn't for everyone... but it you want to reduce the learning curve, take a Saturday and knock some doors. When you are done... you will either love it or hate it.

It's all about people. :yes:

You might approach the door like this, "Hello, my name is ****, and I am doing a survey on what people are looking for in a good insurance advisor. Mind if I ask you a few questions?"

Make sure you check your state insurance laws about "pretext interviews" - which are not allowed in California.

What is the product you are mostly trying to sell?

Life is my main objective right now. We also write P&C, so I have been using that to get my foot in the door and then introduce a low premium term policy.

Interesting thing about this business is that it often takes time to build the skills need to survive... but while doing that you must survive.

Keep people skills in the on position... always be listening and learning to better them.

I think there are 3 must:
  1. You must be able to start a conversation.
  2. You must be able to pivot the conversation and lead it in the direction of your product.
  3. You must be able to close the sale... or go hungry and broke.
There are many more items that could be discussed but that I think that is it in a nut shell.

I would strongly suggest that you go do some cold door knocking, work at getting in the door and then take notes on the discussion... you may not make a sale, but this is where you learn... right in front of the audience you will need to address day in and day out.

This isn't for everyone... but it you want to reduce the learning curve, take a Saturday and knock some doors. When you are done... you will either love it or hate it.

It's all about people. :yes:

I have to be careful where I go, just knocking on doors where we are. Would you recommend going into local businesses?

Make sure you check your state insurance laws about "pretext interviews" - which are not allowed in California.

DHK I have been reading your thread "Guidance for New Life Agents! Let me just say that the information you have provided is ABSOLUTELY AMAZING. Everything that you have mentioned and recommended really and truly has just opened all the different possible ways of bringing in new business. I know that it was 8 years ago, that you posted the original piece. Since then would you recommend any new tactics?

DHK, can you send me a DM, I would love to ask you a few questions. I don't want to put too much information on a thread

Back