Tips for New Agents

Please understand that DR and other financial gurus are in the business to sell you advice. That’s their product. They have no obligation to provide you sound advice for investing and insurance.

DR’s pitch of baby steps is okay. It’s for people that are largely ignorant about money. If you have a basic understanding about money, Dave’s advice is not great.

That being said, there are plenty of life agents that do just fine. There are a few things that kind of annoy me about your post:

1) I’m going to insurance because it’s better than sitting around the house... It’s not about learning the business.

2) You’re making assumptions about a business you’ve never worked in.

3) You’re shitting on a product you don’t know anything about, and a marketplace you don’t know about. Most of the FE market doesn’t know anything about the ROI of S&P vs buying whole life insurance. Most of the time they’re more concerned about paying the light bill vs the insurance bill.

You were given two ears, two eyes and one mouth. Take advantage.

Knowing the business is often a far cry from understanding the clients. One is a study in language and numbers while the other is human nature.

My issue is that I don’t think he really understand either. I believe he’s regurgitating DR, who doesn’t understand the Whole Life market.

To be completely honest, I focus largely on Senior health. I can present the basics of life insurance, but if it was a more than, “I want 12k to bury me.” I’d 100% refer it out.

To the OP @topgun19 (or any other agents with an assigned book of business):
Your book is your gold mine! Your first goal should be to meet all of your current clients for coverage reviews. Sell life insurance using a needs analysis. Educate them on the Ins and outs of the different life policy types. Let the client decide whether term or another form is their best option. (Don’t oversell - it needs to be affordable or they will lapse. But don’t undersell, either.) Then ask for referrals. Depending on the size of your book, that may be enough to really get you off to a good start. Repeating that process a couple times a year should keep you pretty busy with add-on business & referrals.

As far as fresh leads go, you can cold call from telemarketing lists. Like somebody else recommended, new movers are a great source for writing life insurance. I don’t care that some guys think mortgage protection is a “gimmick”. It’s something new movers are open to learning about. Once you’re in the house, you lead with mortgage, but develop a total needs analysis from that point. You can get lists on a subscription plan for $50/month from List Shack. https://www.listshack.com/

One more thing: I’d also recommend joining your local NAIFA chapter. (Disclaimer: I’m not currently a member for personal reasons. But I have been for the biggest part of my career.) That organization is a great place to meet and interact with more experienced agents in your community. You can learn a great deal from your involvement there.

Last edited:
Back