Tips for New Agents

I have to be careful where I go, just knocking on doors where we are. Would you recommend going into local businesses?

What ever will put you in front of the people... but of course you must follow the law.

Business are a bit tougher than homes... you will need to study up on how to get around the door keeper. I would look for small shops, farmers, single man businesses.

Why did you pick term life as your product of choice?

Simplified Issue or Fully Underwritten?

Have you picked a "need" that you are trying to fill? (Mortgage, Keyman, etc etc)

Life is a good product to choose....although term life leads are really bad at the best of times.

If available in your area, get a list of new homeowners and market term to them. You can then X-Date them while you are at it.

A list like that shouldn't cost you a lot, its defined, and allows you to focus on a specific need.

Low premium term policy sounds like a quick way to go broke. If you’re getting in the door with P&C to make money with something, you might want to look at a term policy or WL policy that will help them. Not just be low premium

The reason I am saying low premium is because a potential client is more willing to listen to what we have to offer if the monthly premium for a $100,000 20 YT is ~$25/month compared to throwing a $100,000 WL +$80/month on the table to start the conversation with.

100 term policies that have the opportunity to convert portions to WL is better than 10 WL policies right? Maybe not commission wise at the beginning, but for future possibilities of revisiting those same clients at a later date and discussing the benefits of WL and their conversion options

Have you picked a "need" that you are trying to fill? (Mortgage, Keyman, etc etc)

Life is a good product to choose....although term life leads are really bad at the best of times.

If available in your area, get a list of new homeowners and market term to them. You can then X-Date them while you are at it.

A list like that shouldn't cost you a lot, its defined, and allows you to focus on a specific need.

How would I go about obtaining that list in my area? Is there a county/state website?

If I remember correctly there was a company (out of Georgia I think) that used to offer this info and would mail you mailing labels etc.

I used it about 10 years ago so it may not even be around anymore.

But there are numerous others I'm sure.

Term life is a need, mortgage protection and other "niches" are gimmicks. Term life leads are horrible if you buy them through vendors most of the big term guys run their own websites for leads.

Term life is a need, mortgage protection and other "niches" are gimmicks. Term life leads are horrible if you buy them through vendors most of the big term guys run their own websites for leads.

Exactly. But this agent isn't "the big term guys" so the only purchased leads he can get are for the most part going to be junk.

People spend 30 dollars a lead on DM what's the difference?

I'm not sure what the purpose of your question is.

The OP doesn't have that kind of money to buy leads. Irrespective of what type of lead or which market it is intended for.

He asked what else he could do.

There is no question that leads are the way to go, as I stated in my initial response.

Back