Tips for New Agents

My boat is not that much different than yours. Just starting out and will quickly exhaust the friends and family front. I'm not captive and that's a big plus.

I'm doing a coin toss on online leads. There's a ton of bad posts on how they are garbage, BUT you can at least establish a baseline on ROI. Then (and I'm making this up) put an ad on craigslist "free stuff" category for offering a month Netflix gift certificate for quoting someone or do a banner ad with the same thing... That will create a low quality lead right? but can that really be worse than what some are getting for online leads? At least then those people are calling you -or even better, filling out your web form--- and not the time you are wasting calling the online leads. This is down in the desperation category of moves, but it sounds like that's where you are because long time agencies don't screw around with those gimmicks.

For the non-captive, you can consider reaching out to the captives and getting their rejects...presuming you can place them...maybe you can, maybe you can't, but that was a lead that cost you nothing. Those other agents in town don't HAVE to be your competition. I've been hearing some stories of people getting non-renewed for crazy reasons at captives.

Don't believe the hate on Term policies. I am a Dave Ramsey fanatic and Term is the only Life product I plan on selling. Even the cert training will tell you Term is the best buy for the dollar. Serve yourself with the best commissions and you'll have a limited customer base. Serve other people well and the referrals and revenue will follow.

For the business customers, find out who is starting a NEW business and meet them, get to know what it is they do. Let them know what you sell and give them a card, but be in the "helping them" business and see how you get THEM referrals. Don't think that door won't swing both ways- cuz I guarantee it will. I've even thought about starting a youtube channel and FB to talk about the start ups in my area---the channel is sponsored by MY COMPANY, but is about other people....That costs time- but not one red cent. Don't think that free promotion will go unnoticed by those businesses. They are struggling just like you.

Don't believe the hate on Term policies. I am a Dave Ramsey fanatic and Term is the only Life product I plan on selling. Even the cert training will tell you Term is the best buy for the dollar. Serve yourself with the best commissions and you'll have a limited customer base. Serve other people well and the referrals and revenue will follow.

There's a lady in the FB group that sells 100-150 term policies a month. Term can be great for the agent and the client - as long as you can scale yourself so you can really do a lot of business.

My boat is not that much different than yours. Just starting out and will quickly exhaust the friends and family front. I'm not captive and that's a big plus.

I'm doing a coin toss on online leads. There's a ton of bad posts on how they are garbage, BUT you can at least establish a baseline on ROI. Then (and I'm making this up) put an ad on craigslist "free stuff" category for offering a month Netflix gift certificate for quoting someone or do a banner ad with the same thing... That will create a low quality lead right? but can that really be worse than what some are getting for online leads? At least then those people are calling you -or even better, filling out your web form--- and not the time you are wasting calling the online leads. This is down in the desperation category of moves, but it sounds like that's where you are because long time agencies don't screw around with those gimmicks.

For the non-captive, you can consider reaching out to the captives and getting their rejects...presuming you can place them...maybe you can, maybe you can't, but that was a lead that cost you nothing. Those other agents in town don't HAVE to be your competition. I've been hearing some stories of people getting non-renewed for crazy reasons at captives.

For the business customers, find out who is starting a NEW business and meet them, get to know what it is they do. Let them know what you sell and give them a card, but be in the "helping them" business and see how you get THEM referrals. Don't think that door won't swing both ways- cuz I guarantee it will. I've even thought about starting a youtube channel and FB to talk about the start ups in my area---the channel is sponsored by MY COMPANY, but is about other people....That costs time- but not one red cent. Don't think that free promotion will go unnoticed by those businesses. They are struggling just like you.

O M G! This has to be a spoof post!

I assume you forgot to add. "Have a spouse with a good job. That can pay the bills."

I would never in a thousand years buy internet leads from anybody that isn't my BGA, these vendors charge 15-30 dollars for recycled BS. Internet leads are good if your doing telesales and drive the price per lead down eventually you wanna go to generating your own leads though.

I don't know who you are, and I'm just stating this as a fact, but if this is your conclusion, you are already a poor student of the business.:yes:

Please explain how over any 5 year period or greater, ANY whole life product outperforms the S&P + a term policy.

O M G! This has to be a spoof post!

I assume you forgot to add. "Have a spouse with a good job. That can pay the bills."

No- we saved, invested and both retired in our mid 40s. I started selling insurance because sitting around doing nothing was sort of boring.

Please explain how over any 5 year period or greater, ANY whole life product outperforms the S&P + a term policy.

You have assumed several things:
  1. The client wants term.
  2. The client can qualify for term.
  3. The client is looking for something to preform... maybe they just want to have coverage.
  4. That they are looking at spending a large amount of money.
  5. That the market isn't going to go down... like in the 20's.
Your view of what you are selling is your view. Understand your market before you go proclaiming what you are only going to offer.

By the way... I just covered an 84 yr old with a ton a spunk left in her the other day. What kind of term were you thinking of telling her to get? :skeptical:

I
No- we saved, invested and both retired in our mid 40s. I started selling insurance because sitting around doing nothing was sort of boring.

I am talking about the new agents you are recommending all of those zero revenue activities. And Term is the answer. And I have sold a crap load of term. Term that has termed out.

Because I can use my cash values in more than one place.

But we can compare the S&P 500 from 2003 to 2008? lol.

This video was recorded 7 years ago, so you'd need to adjust it to 45,000 or so.

Back