To stay independent or do I...

Well, I beg to differ on your reasoning.

I was a agency manager for a captive outfit for 4 years.

Let me tell you: The company does not want agents to stay.

Let me repeat that: The company does not want agents to stay.

In their eyes they would much rather hire individuals, have them sell a few policies and leave. This way they keep all of the renewals and have to pay the finding agent NOTHING. Its cheaper to recruit new agents, than it is to retain and pay an existing agent renewals.

:

So you are basically saying that it cost nothing to train someone? Your nuts...no company wants to have that much turnover and I guess that's why you are no longer a manager! Even if you put someone on a draw it will take months before they pay for themselves. What captive company did you work for?

Ok, great you are completely right. How foolish of me.

The s hole agency I worked for was a Fortune 200 company, trades at about $60 a share (last time I checked) and was heavily invested in by Berkshire Hathaway.

But what do I know....I am a fool!:laugh:

Let me be concise: You're an *** that has no concept of the industry outside your little world.

I don't know what kind of sh ithole agency you worked for, but there are several that I know of (big ones) that really and truly do want their agents to stick around.

Plenty of stellar training.

You're a fool.

X2! Couldn't Agree more!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
But what do I know....I am a fool!:laugh:

Agree with that too!

Last edited:
So you are basically saying that it cost nothing to train someone? Your nuts...no company wants to have that much turnover and I guess that's why you are no longer a manager! Even if you put someone on a draw it will take months before they pay for themselves. What captive company did you work for?

What planet are you all on?

If captive was soooo good why is everyone on here wanting to be Independent!

I am saying that most captive agencies don't train their agents at all, or its very low quality.

Its usually (and I am generalizing here) sink or swim, sh*t or bust.

Aflac
Combined
United American
Liberty National
Farmers
Sterling
American Republic
Bankers Life
Universal American
US Health
Mega Life/NASE

Need I go on???????

No company wants to have attrition/turnover. But the numbers don't lie and its a 90% failure rate no matter how well trained the individual is.

I just left the captive H after 6 yrs and am so happy to say FREE AT LAST. Been in the insurance industry for 35 yrs.

Bankers Life thrives on turnover IMO. The residuals they keep and the leads that are produced by agents that leave and fail fuel their business it appears. If not, they would do more to keep agents around. Once you are vested, they have no advantage to boot you out.

What planet are you all on?

No company wants to have attrition/turnover. But the numbers don't lie and its a 90% failure rate no matter how well trained the individual is.

Earth.

What I am saying is that if the People doing the training or the people in management have attitudes like yours then it is absolutely understandable why the failure rate is over 90%!

Last edited:
Earth.

What I am saying is that if the People doing the training or the people in management have attitudes like yours then it is absolutely understandable why the failure rate over 90%!

Its an INDUSTRY failure rate.

You misunderstand......why do you think I am no longer in that position and Independent?

Captive agencies, for the most part are all about churn and burn.....

Sure some make it there. But the vast majority don't.

My original comments were to be captive for a while, get some training then go Independent.

Some seem to think thats some sort unholy act........but I'm willing to bet on this: Go to any captive agency in your town, tell them that you want to work for them for 3-6 months and then leave to go Independent.

What do you think their response will be? Sign here Sir...........

Sad, but true.

Some seem to think thats some sort unholy act........but I'm willing to bet on this: Go to any captive agency in your town, tell them that you want to work for them for 3-6 months and then leave to go Independent.

What do you think their response will be? Sign here Sir...........

Sad, but true.

I have to disagree with you. I know quite a few captive agents and I will bet that none of them would hire and train an individual that has plans on leaving in 3-6 months. I understand that you have left and are independent now...so how many employees do you have now? Would you hire and train someone and how would you feel if they left just around the same time they started bringing in some income and paying for themselves? I know several regional managers for some churn and burn companies. They are always complaining about keeping good people...they don't want to loose them but this isn't a easy business to be successful in and that is why the failure rate is so high.

My staff now are w2 and not agents, so I am in a different environment now.

I got out of the recruiting business for some of the very reasons that you have listed.

And yes, I would hire someone who told me that (not now but when I was in the recruiting biz)

Its 4.30pm on Friday and I have not yet met my monthly recruitment numbers that the company wants. Sign here Sir.....

It does not matter whether I like it or not. Its what happens and its endemic within the entire industry.

Back