To stay independent or do I...

So you are basically saying that it cost nothing to train someone? Your nuts...no company wants to have that much turnover and I guess that's why you are no longer a manager! Even if you put someone on a draw it will take months before they pay for themselves. What captive company did you work for?

I respectfully disagree with you. When I worked for Liberty Mutual I was put through the drill, so to speak. (Micro managed until you get fed up and left,) While this was going on I spoke with my former sales manager who told me that he had written a position paper on it. The process was quite profitable for them. Let me explain.

You hire someone in, train them to train their customers that they should always call the service reps if they need anything, let them build up a decent book over a 2-3 year period, then the heat is on!

I used to leave the office for an appointment and when I got back my manager would call me into his office and grill me on where I was, who I was seeing, what did I present, if I sold anything, go over the apps, anything he could think of to drag the process out. Since I knew what was going on, I wouldn't get upset, I'd just go along. Eventually I got under his skin and he fired me for insubordination (I walked out of his office during one of these sessions since I had an appointment.) That was the beginning of my indy career.

As for the money aspect, the service rep was paid about one third of what the agents make, and they found that they retained business at a rate of 89% for the first two years after a 2nd year rep left.

I respectfully disagree with you. When I worked for Liberty Mutual I was put through the drill, so to speak. (Micro managed until you get fed up and left,) While this was going on I spoke with my former sales manager who told me that he had written a position paper on it. The process was quite profitable for them. Let me explain.

You hire someone in, train them to train their customers that they should always call the service reps if they need anything, let them build up a decent book over a 2-3 year period, then the heat is on!

I used to leave the office for an appointment and when I got back my manager would call me into his office and grill me on where I was, who I was seeing, what did I present, if I sold anything, go over the apps, anything he could think of to drag the process out. Since I knew what was going on, I wouldn't get upset, I'd just go along. Eventually I got under his skin and he fired me for insubordination (I walked out of his office during one of these sessions since I had an appointment.) That was the beginning of my indy career.

As for the money aspect, the service rep was paid about one third of what the agents make, and they found that they retained business at a rate of 89% for the first two years after a 2nd year rep left.

Sir. Since we are being respectful. Last night I had a few shots of Crown...so my ATTITUDE is better today.
:biggrin:

669comche had said that go and get 3 or 6 months of training and then go out on your own. NOT 2 or 3 years. I can see what you are saying but how much money is a new agent making for the company...in the first few months not years down the road. I would never be upset for someone trying to better themselves but to get 3 months of training and then going out on your own...is different IMHO.

Good afternoon all this will be my first post, however I have been reading on this forum for the past several months, first off let me tell you guys a little about myself

I am a 32 year old male, I specialize in life insurance, annuties, LTC, Med supps and Medicare Advantage. I have been an independent agent for since 2003, I am from the Memphis,TN area.

I have recently been approached by an old friend if I would be interested in being a branch manager for Senior Solutions. My position would involve no selling, just the typical managerial and recruiting aspects. I have already interviewed with district and regional officers, and told them If I accept I will not cancel my current companies and lose my book of business and residual income. They have given me in writing they will accept that request.

So, give me your thoughts.

Before you jump into bed with this entity check them out, friend or not friend just how legit are they? Look up the agency name in the Texas Department of Insurance - are they there? If not, they are not abiding by the TDI rules and regulations. Would you want to work for a company like that? Just something to consider.

Back