Tricare and MA Plans

I'd like to see an answer on this, I had a seminar the other day and one guy was on a MAPD, Tricare I told him there was absolutely no sense in the MAPD. So how does anyone feel about this?

Is there any down side if client has tricare and MA plan without drug? PPO not HMO

If they have Tricare, they don't need a MA or Supp or anything else. They are already fully covered.
Just gotta pass when you run into those.

I've seen Tricare recipients pick up a Med Supp when the travel to the VA facility is just too far. Other than that, I can't think of any good reason for someone on Tricare to have a MA or Med Supp.

correcting my earlier statement... dental would be an example. Depends on the region, but in my area, here are the tricare dental premiums, but the Humana medicare PPO medical only plan has dental and silver sneakers.

Effective October 1, 2012-September 30, 2013

Enhanced TRICARE Retiree Dental Program premium rates for your region are:
Number of Enrollees
Monthly Premium
*Prepayment Amount​
Single
73.84​
Two-Person
143.94​
Family (3 or more)
238.74​

here's a list showing how tricare works with medicare approved services

http://www.tricare.mil/mybenefit/Download/Forms/TFL_Cost_Matrix_unlinked.pdf

Last edited:
Is there any down side if client has tricare and MA plan without drug? PPO not HMO

I have many TriCare for Life clients on an MA only 0 prem. PPO. the free gym membership and other perks are attractive and heck no cost, so why not.

I've seen Tricare recipients pick up a Med Supp when the travel to the VA facility is just too far. Other than that, I can't think of any good reason for someone on Tricare to have a MA or Med Supp.

Tricare enrollees are not restricted to the VA clinics. There is no medical reason for a Tricare person to ever need an MA plan or a med sup.

They may want a zero premium MA for the stuff Jacob mentiuoned but that would be the only reason.

Based on everyone's posts Tricare seems like the best thing since sliced bread.
Is there anything that tricare doesn't cover that would be covered by supp or MA plan?
Also if they have MA only plan, does Tricare pay copays, etc.?

Tricare enrollees are not restricted to the VA clinics. There is no medical reason for a Tricare person to ever need an MA plan or a med sup.

They may want a zero premium MA for the stuff Jacob mentiuoned but that would be the only reason.

Right. Not to be confused with VA benefits.

Back