Tricare and MA Plans

The last time that I called Tricare I was told that they will not coordinate benefits with an MA plan. When I run into someone with Tricare for life I change focus to other product lines.

Is there any down side if client has tricare and MA plan without drug? PPO not HMO

I an dead set against putting these on an MA plan, but the major medical groups in San antonio encourage it due to their full risk contracts that makes those Tricare/MA popul a big fat target to get more medicare $$.

Last edited:
This is the best advice. I was told years ago that putting someone, with Tricare, on a MA could get them disenrolled from the Tricare benefits (much like if a person has an employer retirement health plan and you put them on a MA, they may lose that retirement plan forever). The tricare would cover the person other places besides just the VA offices. I have always passed on anybody that has had Tricare, so as to not potentially ruin their benefits forever. But if the person just has to have those extra MA benefits (such as dental visit or vision or gym membership), go with Josh's advice. Call up Tricare. Make sure you know exactly what the rules are and make sure it is in the person's best interest.
Let us all know what Tricare tells you!
I, for one, would be interested in hearing how this plays out.

I just called Tricare and they said that they would reimburse claims paid by client under the MA plan unless provider would be willing to bill Tricare.
So, it looks like a client would have coverage under MA plan but there would be some extra hoops come claim time.
I'll give client choice to let Tricare be secondary payor or go with MA plan if they want the extras. Also, I did confirm that she would not lose TFL if she enrolled in MA plan or supplement.

So other than what I've already asked....do you guys know if there are any providers that won't bill Tricare and so she'd have to file claims herself? The reason I ask is that she does like the idea of a supplement and if the supplement route could give her fewer headaches with billing it might be worth it.

jacobtn said:
I have many TriCare for Life clients on an MA only 0 prem. PPO. the free gym membership and other perks are attractive and heck no cost, so why not.

With your Tricare clients on MA plan...do they have any out of pocket just like if they had Medicare and Tricare? Do providers bill Tricare for copays and coinsurance?

The PJ Tatler » Pentagon Waits to Tell Vets They May Lose Prime Health Coverage

Veterans in select areas of the country may soon be hit with a reduction in health care coverage, a proposal that has sparked outcry from lawmakers representing affected regions.

It looks like the announcement of the controversial move to discontinue TRICARE Prime for military members and their families in certain states, though, will wait until after Election Day.

As first reported by Military Times, starting April 1 TRICARE Prime services would be offered only to those living within 40 miles of a Military Treatment Facility as a result of the incoming contractor, United Healthcare, not planning on covering the services.

This would affect as many as 30,000 veterans and their families in Nevada, Oregon, Iowa, Minnesota, and Missouri. While those outside of an acceptable distance from an MTF wouldn’t lose coverage, they would be reduced to the standard plan that carries higher out-of-pocket costs.

The PJ Tatler » Pentagon Waits to Tell Vets They May Lose Prime Health Coverage

Veterans in select areas of the country may soon be hit with a reduction in health care coverage, a proposal that has sparked outcry from lawmakers representing affected regions.

It looks like the announcement of the controversial move to discontinue TRICARE Prime for military members and their families in certain states, though, will wait until after Election Day.

As first reported by Military Times, starting April 1 TRICARE Prime services would be offered only to those living within 40 miles of a Military Treatment Facility as a result of the incoming contractor, United Healthcare, not planning on covering the services.

This would affect as many as 30,000 veterans and their families in Nevada, Oregon, Iowa, Minnesota, and Missouri. While those outside of an acceptable distance from an MTF wouldn’t lose coverage, they would be reduced to the standard plan that carries higher out-of-pocket costs.

How many private companies do you know that offer coverage for employee plus family members for life? Why should the military be any different? They serve 20 years and then are entitled to all of those free bennies. How is that right? As long as nobody wants to pay additional taxes, then the gov't needs to start cutting things like this among other things. I know a family like this. The husband is retired (only in his 50s) and the wife earns a six figure income, yet full coverage for him and her?

I have many TriCare for Life clients on an MA only 0 prem. PPO. the free gym membership and other perks are attractive and heck no cost, so why not.

I agree.........I see no need for TriCare recipients to enroll in an MA or MAPD unless there are some additional perks. Here in So Cal we have plans that offer dental and hearing along with gym membership and even ED drug coverage for the "active" retiree!!

These plans work along side of TriCare and do not replace it. I advise them to use their TriCare for all medical and the MA plans for the perks.

How many private companies do you know that offer coverage for employee plus family members for life? Why should the military be any different? They serve 20 years and then are entitled to all of those free bennies. How is that right? As long as nobody wants to pay additional taxes, then the gov't needs to start cutting things like this among other things. I know a family like this. The husband is retired (only in his 50s) and the wife earns a six figure income, yet full coverage for him and her?

Guess all a widow deserves from her husband's sacrifice is a flag and 21 casings.

Back