Tricare and MA Plans

pbbaseball; here's a list showing how tricare works with medicare approved services [URL said:
http://www.tricare.mil/mybenefit/Download/Forms/TFL_Cost_Matrix_unlinked.pdf[/url]

see the link above for how it works with medicare approved services...with the MA, MA would be the primary payor, and tricare would pay second.

dental is an example of what it doesn't cover, unless they are paying for the tricare dental plan out of pocket

Based on everyone's posts Tricare seems like the best thing since sliced bread.
Is there anything that tricare doesn't cover that would be covered by supp or MA plan?
Also if they have MA only plan, does Tricare pay copays, etc.?

Tricare for Life is for retirees and their spouses. It is basically a really good retiree plan. VA benefits are for Veterans, most of which did not do their 20 for full retirement.

TRICARE For Life

Tricare for Life is for retirees and their spouses. It is basically a really good retiree plan. VA benefits are for Veterans, most of which did not do their 20 for full retirement.

TRICARE For Life

Thanks JD, Josh, and Vol for correcting me on that. I was reading Tricare and kept thing VA Benefits (because I are one).

Reading comprehension was not my best friend this morning! :GEEK:

So does MA coordinate with Tricare? I've heard both yes and no....

According to JacobTN it does. There isn't any reason it shouldn't, but it may be worth giving them a call to confirm. Provider billing offices can also be helpful in answering questions about things like this.

The lady I'm trying to help loves the idea of supplement and according to Tricare, there are some things Medicare covers that tricare doesn't.
If MA works with Tricare then this is way to go.

The lady I'm trying to help loves the idea of supplement and according to Tricare, there are some things Medicare covers that tricare doesn't.
If MA works with Tricare then this is way to go.

Since Tricare works with Original Medicare and a MA plan takes the place of OM, I would assume it would work with a MA plan. But you know what they say about assuming...

pbbaseball said:
see the link above for how it works with medicare approved services...with the MA, MA would be the primary payor, and tricare would pay second.

dental is an example of what it doesn't cover, unless they are paying for the tricare dental plan out of pocket

So if MA is primary payor would Tricare pick up copays? Would member take MA plan card and present Tricare card to doctor and then Tricare pay copays, etc.
Beyond dental a chiropractor...are there any major costs that member would potentially pay?

Since Tricare works with Original Medicare and a MA plan takes the place of OM, I would assume it would work with a MA plan. But you know what they say about assuming...

The assumptions are just that, assumptions. OM is replaced by MA, but Medicare supplements won't fill in the gaps in MA plans. Some retiree benefits won't coordinate with anything but OM, and the list goes on.

There shouldn't be a problem with the coordination of benefits, but a call to the billing office of their primary physician might help solve the mystery. Another option would be to call Tricare with her, but that's just my take on it.

The assumptions are just that, assumptions. OM is replaced by MA, but Medicare supplements won't fill in the gaps in MA plans. Some retiree benefits won't coordinate with anything but OM, and the list goes on.

There shouldn't be a problem with the coordination of benefits, but a call to the billing office of their primary physician might help solve the mystery. Another option would be to call Tricare with her, but that's just my take on it.

This is the best advice. I was told years ago that putting someone, with Tricare, on a MA could get them disenrolled from the Tricare benefits (much like if a person has an employer retirement health plan and you put them on a MA, they may lose that retirement plan forever). The tricare would cover the person other places besides just the VA offices. I have always passed on anybody that has had Tricare, so as to not potentially ruin their benefits forever. But if the person just has to have those extra MA benefits (such as dental visit or vision or gym membership), go with Josh's advice. Call up Tricare. Make sure you know exactly what the rules are and make sure it is in the person's best interest.
Let us all know what Tricare tells you!
I, for one, would be interested in hearing how this plays out.

Back