UCT Dental, Vision & Hearing Plan

I can't tell for sure because I don't have access to a fee schedule, but the current UHC dental flyer suggests to me that UHC's network Maximum Allowable Charges are likely to be less than those for the Delta Dental network.

Well what your UHC flyer says now doesn’t mean much to what you quoted, OVER 5 years ago.

Plus, my Dentist doesn’t take delta. And it’s not even available in my area.

I don’t offer UHC dental plans anymore. It’s CUL, bright idea or ask someone else.

Wasn't trying to pick a fight.
I have been reading old dental threads and you have consistently from way back to now (in something like 4-6 different threads) spoken positively of UHC because of your personal experience with the plan and feeling like you have recovered all, or most, of your premium payments based on the year. All I was trying to say was that the current data I see suggests that continues to be the case from a consumer perspective and it is probably a better choice than the Delta plans I have been considering.

(I can't remember for sure now, but if you check your likes, I think you'll see one of your old posts that I marked with a like because it was quite useful to me in my current thought processes. Even though it was old, I considered it a quite valid comment that matches with my personal experience.)

Last edited:
Wasn't trying to pick a fight.
I have been reading old dental threads and you have consistently from way back to now (in something like 4-6 different threads) spoken positively of UHC because of your personal experience with the plan and feeling like you have recovered all, or most, of your premium payments based on the year. All I was trying to say was that the current data I see suggests that continues to be the case from a consumer perspective and it is probably a better choice than the Delta plans I have been considering.

(I can't remember for sure now, but if you check your likes, I think you'll see one of your old posts that I marked with a like because it was quite useful to me in my current thought processes. Even though it was old, I considered it a quite valid comment that matches with my personal experience.)

Yeah I noticed that.

But I was still kind of green then and at this stage I would never bother with selling that plan. I’ve realized that people think they can get tons of dental coverage for the price and it’s more work than I care to do for $36

Yeah I noticed that.

But I was still kind of green then and at this stage I would never bother with selling that plan. I’ve realized that people think they can get tons of dental coverage for the price and it’s more work than I care to do for $36
Yeah I noticed that.

Agreed. My clients have to plead/sell me on the dental plan before I offer to write them. I "sell" two a year when talking them out of it doesn't work.

Yeah I noticed that.

Does this mean that if I would happen to know a new insurance agent (new employee with a 10 yr old agency), who likely knows very little about insurance, that I should not ask him if he wants to sell me a UHC Dental plan? (His agency's website carrier banners include UnitedHealthGroup.)

Last edited:
Why not?
I’m just saying I don’t care to offer it. And the only reason I still have that plan is because it keeps me on top of getting my cleanings done. I doubt it’s saved me any money over the years.

Dental Insurance is all about use.

If all you need are yearly cleanings with very occasional small issues, then just self-pay and bank the premiums in a savings account.

If you have a good chance of maxing out benefits most years, then some Dental Policies can save you money.

The math is simple to calculate. The expected use is not always that simple.

If I owned a Dental or Vision policy, it would likely be CUL. Its one of the best policies I've seen, even when compared to the group market it's still very competitive on benefits.

Dental Insurance is all about use.

If all you need are yearly cleanings with very occasional small issues, then just self-pay and bank the premiums in a savings account.

If you have a good chance of maxing out benefits most years, then some Dental Policies can save you money.

The math is simple to calculate. The expected use is not always that simple.

If I owned a Dental or Vision policy, it would likely be CUL. Its one of the best policies I've seen, even when compared to the group market it's still very competitive on benefits.
True it's all about use if you are logical. You can explain it to seniors all you want but their expectations will be much greater than outlined in the plan.

Why not?
I’m just saying I don’t care to offer it. And the only reason I still have that plan is because it keeps me on top of getting my cleanings done. I doubt it’s saved me any money over the years.

The UHC plans have interesting combinations of coverage and pricing. I am struggling with the idea of giving up dental insurance coverage for major services, but if one could do that, I think it is possible to save, or very close to save, money with the essential plan--which is sort of "hidden" between the lowest premium plan and the expanded feature plans. I believe I could provide some Orange county numbers to support that hypothesis and I believe I can see the same in my location.

(And I am speaking only from a consumer perspective here-no clue about the commission compensation for the various plan levels.)

Back