UHL - Level Comp to 80. Is it worth it?

Abrasax

Guru
In the spirit of the recent carrier reviews we've been doing, I'd like to add UHL to the table. In Florida, we're limited on competitive carriers that don't cut comp due to age. There's Trans, but I don't want to write them unless I absolutely have to.

Here's a rundown of what I see as the good and bad for this carrier. What else is there?

GOOD:
  • Level comp (to 80)
  • Preferred, standard, modified and GI all on one app
  • Level comp on all rate classes (except GI - GI Comp is 75% I think)
  • Their Premier (preferred) class has good rates for female non smokers.
  • A PHI is required by phone for all but GI apps. You will have a tentative yes/no decision before leaving.
  • Their Modified EIWL plan will take some conditions like Alzheimer's and Dementia that would otherwise be GI.
  • They have some weird level niches like systemic lupus.
  • Diabetic and Insulin friendly for their preferred rates.

BAD:
  • Their rates for smokers and males are often high, as in "why are you even selling this?" high.
  • They only issue to age 80
  • The phone interview doesn't give you a firm know before you go decision, so it could wind up being declined or rated.
They seem to have some things going for them. Really, it's hard to find a carrier that is consistently competitively priced, doesn't cut commissions on age, and isn't called Transamerica. What else is there we should add when considering this carrier?

We write them quite a bit for not contracting folks with them very much. I could only ever see selling the EIWL product.

We have some MP guys that like their term products.

Insulin is standard, unless they changed something. So while they have a preferred and standard, they won’t take any major niches at standard. No copd like trans.

Their preferred rates are good, but only for the super healthy. Hard to put a lot of biz with their preferred. I’ve talked to our rep and told them if they would just put insulin preferred or take copd standard, that could put them on the map.

They have fixed their contracting issues it seems. Very easy to contract new agents. Only one easier is Prosperity. And it’s nice that you can send out the contracting link yourself. So if contracting gets backed up, an agency manager can shoot out Prosperity, UHL and Assurant and cover most of the health niches.

But that also gets cumbersome when recruiting lots of folks. Gotta send them to Surebay and send them out 3 links?!?

It is what it is I guess. Nice to have an admin do that now.

Anyway, their EIWL at full comp and 12/24% ROP is hot.

Anyway, their EIWL at full comp and 12/24% ROP is hot.

Does that really impress anyone though when it comes with a 2 yr wait? We agents know that's a good deal.

It sounds like the ONLY other thing they have going for them is the level comp. I guess that shows how hard it can be to get paid for what you're writing on older or less healthy folks.

How many carriers are cutting comp in FL under 80??

Others that don’t...

LBL
AmAm
Foresters
American Memorial
Prosperity
Americo eagle (same comp 60-80)

While I actually do find UHL useful, where did you get the idea that they accept insulin on the Premier rate? Insulin is Deluxe. Also, any complications is Express Issue, graded.

I would write UHL EIWL 12/24 product all day over GI. Price generally is in the same ball park if not less, it is more money for the client if they pass in the first two years, it generally bills correctly unlike AIG, and it pays full commission.

That being said, I think they have a great niche, but I would have to agree with Josh that it is hard to make them a "go to" carrier with the negative things aforementioned.

EIWL for CHF full comp is the niche for this company,good renewals too. Female NT rates are competitive. Just don't try to squeeze in cases with lots of meds.

How many carriers are cutting comp in FL under 80??

Others that don’t...

LBL
AmAm
Foresters
American Memorial
Prosperity
Americo eagle (same comp 60-80)

SNL and RNA are the 2 I've seen it the most with. I should have known about LBL because I'm contacted with them, but their intense PHI keeps me from using them much.

I haven't heard of American Memorial. I'll have to check them out. Thanks.

While I actually do find UHL useful, where did you get the idea that they accept insulin on the Premier rate? Insulin is Deluxe. Also, any complications is Express Issue, graded.

That was a typo, thanks for the correction.

I should have known about LBL because I'm contacted with them, but their intense PHI keeps me from using them much.

I like these guys a lot too! They take some interesting stuff for sure! I wish they would figure out how to do a different application process. They would get so much more business.

Back