Unicare Fit 2000

John - "HSAs provide the most protection - not the least. Everyone should have a HSA - especially familes who use health care a lot."

Agreed. Less potential OOP and everything (even dental) is pre-tax money. Copays are a thing of the past.

And if he has detailed questions to ask 2 or 3 times a day Unicare has someone to pick up the phone and help him? Or does he just hit voicemail?

Actually they do. Jeff Dean the Unicare regional sales manager answers his phone any time I have a question and has been a great help in getting me going. He is very knowledgeable about insurance. I would have been out of business a long time ago if it wasn't for Mr. Dean. And this forum of course!!

It is indeed important to have detailed training and support. And that fact that this guy answers his phone is a credit to him. The Unicare coverage is lacking, but it's good for a 2nd or 3rd place fit.

HSAs provide the most protection - not the least. Everyone should have a HSA - especially familes who use health care a lot.

both hsa's and co~pay plans both cover the same things its just how they divide up the bill ......and if you are on a hsa ans use it alot you end up paying more out of pocket than prem. difference on charges going toward a deductible you will not meet.....

So you're gonna train Joshril on Unicare Scott? Mighty nice of ya. I'm sure Unicare will appreciate that - will they give you anything?

I didn't make a dime off of training you when you were with NASE/mega a couple of years ago.....

Scott's not a HSA fan. He's all over those old copay plans.

no......I have many HSA clients.....hell I still have MSA clients.....that was before your time John.....it all depends on the person or family situation....

The Unicare coverage is lacking, but it's good for a 2nd or 3rd place fit.

so what your saying is when wellpoint comes in and buys assurant then it will be first.....

Last edited:
Everything is what it is. If one plans offers more protection I recommend that first. If Assurant changes their plans and they become more lacking they'll go on the back burner for me.

We can go back and forth on this forever. Assurant in TX is more expensive then Unicare but without any discussion offers greater protection. I'm in this business to offer the best protection I can.

I just picked up a World contract and from what I see so far they also offer better plans than Unicare - especially Flex Advantage. Golden Rule obviously offers better plans then Unicare and great rates. I can't see where Unicare fits into anything.

I just picked up a World contract

someone just bought world to bring this ass. plan from and b to a a co......

Golden Rule obviously offers

bought by united health care.......and assurant is next.....why do you think the push hsa's and have priced thier co~pay plans out of the market......to hedge out going aussurant money ......

Is this whatever justification you can come up with to offer cheap plans with cheap benefits? In TX just based on plan benefits including limitations and exclusions GR, World and Assurant all offers plans that smoke Unicare. Again, I don't see where they fit in.

I can't see where ratings fit in. Many Blue's have B ratings. Means nothing. In fact most of the companies that have yanked out of states had A ratings. CGI and AMS were both A rated.

Unicare is not a bad company at all - I'm not saying they are. But there is better cover to offer. I cannot see your love for them. They are "C" students in the world of health insurance.

The only reason I can see for you selling them is simply because they're cheap. Scott....isn't that what you busted me on back in 2003? Just selling cheap coverage when better plans were available?

Last edited:
Also looks like Health Benefits Direct as of Tuesday will be offering Unicare: http://insurancenewsnet.com/article.asp?a=top_lh&id=79279

In case anyone doesn't know, they are one of the largest call centers in the US famous for buying shared leads and doing live transfers. So if you're buying shared leads and Health Benefits is also buying the same leads it seems they'll be offering Unicare now. That could be hard to battle.

Back