Uninsured Can Enroll Through April 30, 2015

Only 2 questions require a response in order to qualify for TAX special enrollment.

According to the blog, anyone without a plan can get coverage right now. Look at #3. But when you do the app at hc.gov, its requiring an SEP reason (in addition to the tax "I live under a rock" reason).

o Must not have purchased coverage for 2015 through the Health Insurance Marketplace

What about if they have a group plan? Can they drop the group plan and get a plan though Marketplace? I am having doubts about it......

o Must not have purchased coverage for 2015 through the Health Insurance Marketplace

What about if they have a group plan? Can they drop the group plan and get a plan though Marketplace? I am having doubts about it......

Employee dropping on their own: Not qualifying event
Employer cancels group: Yes, qualifying event

According to the blog, anyone without a plan can get coverage right now. Look at #3. But when you do the app at hc.gov, its requiring an SEP reason (in addition to the tax "I live under a rock" reason).

One SEP related question that is a tad tricky is the one where the applicant certifies that he/she did not know before February 15th that they were supposed to have health insurance, or pay a penalty for not having it. Virtually everyone will lie and agree to this.... you have to, or you're stopped dead in the water by HealthCare.gov. You even have to attest to this at HealthSherpa.

Also, the "I agree that I will pay a penalty for 2014 for not having health insurance" isn't technically true for those who have already paid the penalty, but they have to say "yes".

Last edited:
One SEP related question that is a tad tricky is the one where the applicant certifies that he/she did not know before February 15th that they were supposed to have health insurance, or pay a penalty for not having it. Virtually everyone will lie and agree to this.... you have to, or you're stopped dead in the water by HealthCare.gov. You even have to attest to this at HealthSherpa.

I call this the "I live under a rock" SEP :)

I understand but employee may say "i have never applied at ffm and didn't know about the fine..." had this lady that her hr person told her this....

If they had health insurance 2014 they can forget about the fine, so can't enroll, but they cannot drop voluntarily, employer has to cancel plan.

----------

I call this the "I live under a rock" SEP :)

There are a bunch that have been living under rock. Had a guy call today that asked if he could still get in on the health insurance this year because he had just had his taxes done and had to pay a fine. I said you're in luck bud, have an appt Wednesday morning.

There are a bunch that have been living under rock. Had a guy call today that asked if he could still get in on the health insurance this year because he had just had his taxes done and had to pay a fine. I said you're in luck bud, have an appt Wednesday morning.

I wasn't complaining about the extended OEP (Which is really what this is. If it talks like a duck, quacks like a duck, etc)

Back