United Commercial Travelers of America

They dont have an AM Best rating because they are a fraternal organization. They do have re-insurance. In my state, however, the Insurance Commissioner sent out a letter to all agents appointed with UCT warning them that the department does not guarantee the fraternals the same way as regular insurance (as far as state re-insurance) and that you must explicitly explain to the client that as a member of the fraternal organization they are on the hook for a share of any default by the company AND the agent is prohibited from stating that the private re-insurance that UCT has covers that risk or is a substitute for the state guarantee. The Department also explained in the letter that the agent must be upfront and forthcoming with this information and not treat it as an aside or a technical condition, that the customer must understand this as part of the sale.

I am just reporting the news. I dont make it.

Winter
Winter, how the heck do I PM you? I would like a copy of that NC letter as well if you wouldn't mind.

I'm glad to see that this company is reinsured since it only has $19 million in Assets. (Their annual statement for 2007 is here: http://www.ohioinsurance.gov/FRAnnuals/2007/Annual/ks/56383A2007ks.pdf)

That's probably the reason they did not invite AM Best to rate them. Is it better to have no rating at all than to have a C or worse rating?

With this company, what's more important than financial ratings is history. Do they have a solid track record in the senior market?

I know ten years ago they sold medicare supplements and suddenly pulled out of the market. Do they plan to do the same this go-around?

.:swoon:

If we only knew who the state insurance regulator was, then we may be able to locate it on their web site?

Winter, how the heck do I PM you? I would like a copy of that NC letter as well if you wouldn't mind.

I have it somewhere.

You could google up the Maine Bureau of Insurance and then go to their staff directory. Look down through the list of staff attorneys and you will see Arthur H. (leaving his last name out) and his email address. Just shoot him an email and say: "I heard from an agent in Maine that the Bureau sent out a letter to agents regarding United Commercial Travelers and the re-insurance issue. Could you send me a copy please."

Winter

I have it somewhere.

You could google up the Maine Bureau of Insurance and then go to their staff directory. Look down through the list of staff attorneys and you will see Arthur H. (leaving his last name out) and his email address. Just shoot him an email and say: "I heard from an agent in Maine that the Bureau sent out a letter to agents regarding United Commercial Travelers and the re-insurance issue. Could you send me a copy please."

Winter

Just to stay on the right side of things, it should remain clear that there is no suggestion that UCT had done anything wrong, only that their fraternal structure has regulatory and agent liability and disclosure implications that differ from the other carriers. More than I want to get into with clients but not a show stopper for those that do.

Winter

Does anyone here work with Evercare? I didn't do the testing last fall, but just ran across a client that I think could use it. Has HBP and some other things and only has Med A & B. He's 82 and also had cancer a while back and might be getting it again. Is there anything that I need to look out for or do to help this customer and keep my butt out of a sling?

Yah know, as soon as I hit enter I realized that I should have started a new tread. At the same time I really didn't expect an immature response from somebody here. I expected a " Hey Jerry, you might want to start a new thread when you have a legitamite question you need help with".

Was my post a product plug? Ah.....no. It was something I needed help with, so I asked a question. Wrong place, and I apologize. I'm new to this site and I have spent too much time on sites where people spew their thoughts helter skelter. I forgot what it was like to be on a site with proffesionals.

Your responce kind of threw me, but what should I expect from someone with the name Mr. Bunghole.

Go back to watching Bevis and Butthead. Their are adults here.

Back