USAA?

Winter_123

Guru
5000 Post Club
What are they all about. Are they competitive in any scenarios? Just had a gal tell me that she got a better quote from them . She is very overweight and I think someone must have quoted her as preferred or standard with USAA but if they are competitive do tell. I don't see them come up on the quote engines, enough to get my attention anyway.

Winter

USAA says they only serve the military and their dependents. While they may never admit as much in public, USAA is a mutual company that WANTS more business, just like any other, so they'll take your premiums, deposits and investments, gladly. They pay no agent compensation. They have term, whole life, UL and VUL. They also have fixed and variable annuities. They even have a non-surrenderable fixed annuity, which comes in handy for those who want really safe money. Their whole life ain't nothing to sneeze at. It's par, and its good. Their term is competitive. Lots of military officers buy this stuff, without any agent's help. Their fixed annuity rates are, better than most. Especially for larger premiums. Too bad they don't have paid commissions and were available for brokerage. Excellent ratings, superior service after the sale.

The above is mostly quoted verbatim from a very knowledgeable source Rick Blaine on Topgunproducers.

I have them for auto and homeowner's plus an AD&D policy. On auto and HO I've yet to find a competitor. Haven't looked at their life products since I dont' think they work with independents.

But just so you know there are crackheads addicted to them for whatever reason. It's almost a cult following.

Last edited:
My auto is with them and the only reason my homeowners isn't with them is because they won't write in my area. They give me the best rate on my credit card also.

If someone has USAA, it's hard to get them away. They've treated myself and my family very well.

I work in San Antonio { the home office is up near Fred. Rd and I-10} a lot and they absolutley have a very big following there. I think they only work through home office sales, I've seen job listing around here -in the home office only. When I used to live in NY and sold major med there, we rejected a guy for heart conditions and he bought some sort of home office issued indemnity limited plan from USAA, he was retired military.

USAA is my choice for homeowners, auto, and credit card. I had term with them, replaced during the 1990s 'term wars' (and hoped the other co would last the 20 years of my policy on cutthroat rates). They're tough to beat.

What are they all about. Are they competitive in any scenarios? Just had a gal tell me that she got a better quote from them . She is very overweight and I think someone must have quoted her as preferred or standard with USAA but if they are competitive do tell. I don't see them come up on the quote engines, enough to get my attention anyway.

Winter
Back in 1962 when I joined them, they only provided automobile insurance to commissioned officers in the military and the White House staff. As time progressed, they opened up membership to enlisted, added homeowner's, then Life, Investments, etc. Nowadays they are like AARP to the military. By restricting coverage to a premium group of members, their claims are below average, hence they can offer low rates.

I lost a term sale to USAA on a 44 year old female preferred best rate class.

They were 10% less than American General, ING Reliastar, and other large life companies. I refused to believe it at first until the policy holder showed me the policy. I am still looking over it though.:)

Their underwriting might not be as good as the large companies. The husband had a minor cholesterol issue. With other companies, he would not be rated up. With USAA, they drop him several rate classes. That was my in.

Back