VOIP Provider Recommendations

Trying to decide between Nextiva and Ringcentral now. They both seem very good.

We use ITP. We've got a hosted phone system through them as well as our 800 #. It's great because they were able to configure it exactly the way we need, with people distributed around the country. If someone calls our customer support #, for example, it will find the next available person and ring them.

I use and recommend Vonage for VOIP, fax and 800. Sound quality is a function of your cable bandwidth/speed and you personal telephone equipment. I use RoadRunner for cable internet connection. I have no problems with sound quality or service with Vonage.

You may experience some problems with fax when contacting certain other VOIP 800 fax services. Just call their land line fax instead.

This is want they currently offer:
  • Unlimited local & long distance in the U.S., Canada, & Puerto Rico
  • Includes calls to more than 60 other countries around the world
  • Enhanced 411 Directory Assistance included
  • Readable voicemail transcriptions included
  • Voicemail, Caller ID, Call Waiting, Anonymous Call Block, 3-Way Calling, and tons of standard features
  • $14.99/month for first 3 months, then just $25.99/month
  • No Annual Contract! No Commitment
  • You can order a Toll Free Number for a fee of only $4.99 /month including 100 free minutes.
Here's a link to Vonage. I don't work for Vonage so rates are subject to change without notice.

Last edited:
I had to fight vonage for almost 5 months to port out my phone number when I finally tried to leave, and their phone quality was the reason I left, along with the high per minute costs after the 100 minutes on their 800 line.

Ringcentral had great quality over the same connection that voyage was so bad over.

Codec, compression, server speed, and other factors affect VoIP qos, not just the users Internet speed.

I couldn't count the number of negative reviews I have been told or read about Vonage. Customer satisfaction surveys back that up. RFNAPLES is the first positive one I have heard. Says he doesn't work for Vonage but do you have a family member? Own stock? Any connection? Or are you the one in a million? LOL

I also had a positive experience with Vonage. It didn't meet my needs because of their pricing structure/plan model, but if it's the right price and it's what someone is looking for plan wise the audio quality and customer service experience I had with them was great.

Did you have any problems closing your Vonage account? I didn't try them because I researched them first and it seems the biggest complaint was how hard it was to leave. Even a class action suit about it. I always google, check Rip-Off Report and BBB before signing for anything. Vonage didn't look good at all.

Did you have any problems closing your Vonage account? I didn't try them because I researched them first and it seems the biggest complaint was how hard it was to leave. Even a class action suit about it. I always google, check Rip-Off Report and BBB before signing for anything. Vonage didn't look good at all.

It took 5 months to get them to port my 800 number. I had to file a BBb complaint and threaten legal action. They denies the port out at least 10 times for different unrelated reasons. Continuing to have my incoming calls routed through them cost me hundreds of extra dollars because of their fees, but it would have cost more to change the number and inform customers and redo all websites and documents. It was a real mess.

Their service was ok but not great up till then, but the call quality was not as good as ringcentral has been, and the customer service department was a nightmare.

My only vonage experience is everytime I speak with my parents...And on every call I comment on how bad the connection is. I have nothing against VOIP being as I run my office on ringcentral VOIP...Heck one of my softphones is connected by wireless connection to the router and I have never had anyone question or comment on sound quality.

I couldn't count the number of negative reviews I have been told or read about Vonage. Customer satisfaction surveys back that up. RFNAPLES is the first positive one I have heard. Says he doesn't work for Vonage but do you have a family member? Own stock? Any connection? Or are you the one in a million? LOL

No, I don't have a family member who works for Vonage or own their stock. The only connection to Vonage is as a subscriber. As of December 31 2010, Vonage held approximately 2.4 million subscriber lines.

Consumer Reports has them listed as number one in their Phone service Ratings. These Ratings were based on 30,164 respondents to the Consumer Reports Annual Telecom Survey, online in spring 2008, who received telephone services from a local provider, regardless if the service was part of a bundled package or not.

Here is what they said in February 2011:
"Vonage charges $24.99 for unlimited calling domestically and to more than 60 countries. (Stand-alone VoIP services can be an especially good deal for heavy international callers.) Vonage and Skype received top marks for value in the survey."

Here's a link to Vonage.

Back