We urge CMS to require brokers and agents to reveal commissions, commission residual schedules, bonu

That reminded me of a situation that happened early on after transitioning from group health insurance to Medicare. One person, that had been a client for several years, asked how much I made from his policy. By that time we were friends, so I told him . . . I make about $20 per month (which was true at the time).

He was shocked . . . he said he thought I made more than that.

I said "This is not a get rich quick" proposition. With volume, I do fairly well, but it took a long time to make this more than a hobby."

I rarely have people ask how much I make, but some do ask how much I charge for the information I provide. Some have offered to pay me and I explain that I can't take their $$ and a commission.

Sometimes I tell them this.

I don't get paid until you trust me enough to allow me to be your agent. When I submit your application the carrier pays me a small fee based on the premium . . . the same premium you would pay if you went direct to the carrier. Just like a contractor you may hire for your home, I don't get paid until the work is done and you are satisfied with what I have done.

If you don't mind me asking why did you transition out of group health insurance?

"How much are you going to make on this sale?"

"Not enough to deal with these types of bullshit questions".

OR

"I'd make a lot more if I just charged you by the hour"

I always think that question is funny because I could make more or less on the sale than the agent down the road. Clients should not care about what I make any more than the professions in the post by @Packerland

"Not even near as much as if I was allowed to charge you with billable hours, like a lawyer. Consider yourself lucky."

If it's implemented, I'll just put it as a hidden link on the website and provide the URL.

On that page I'll list comp in a way they won't really get - something like PMPM or FYC or something like that.

No one will go to that url.

But I agree with everyone - its 100% none of their business.

I occasionally get a sly eye from a prospect when they ask where I live and I tell them the town. Then they go "Oh, which neighborhood?" I hate that question because it's a small town and my neighborhood is gated on the water and some people don't love that. It's not a "rich" neighborhood but some think it is.

I hate that question because it's a small town and my neighborhood is gated on the water and some people don't love that. It's not a "rich" neighborhood but some think it is.

Some of the aerial pics look very similar to the Obama property in another quaint village called Martha's Vineyard

Some of the aerial pics look very similar to the Obama property in another quaint village called Martha's Vineyard

Haha!!

Similar.... Real similar....

Does he have 5 kids running around his house too, scaring potential neighbors away?

I revealed to a client what I made once and only once. I lost the sale because she thought I made too much money. Tried my best to explain that she would get the same exact price if she went straight to the company, and wouldn't have a local agent. That didn't help at all.

I will never let a client know what I make ever again! It's really none of their business. This is one area that CMS is really overstepping their bounds. I think they are presuming that their authority is a bit more than it is! Even if they pass that rule, I would ignore it.
Never say, Never, Todd. I've been in financial services since 1993, securities licensed. Disclosing your commission has been a requirement for years, in that industry. It would not surprise me one bit, if this industry follows suit.

Last edited:
Back