Wellcare, UHC... they're all out to get us

Sounds like a huge waste of time for me. If a client calls to move Medigap plans, I tell them they need to pass underwriting unless it’s the aarp uhc med Supp to another one of their aarp uhc med supps.

You probably agreed with him believing he should be GI, when he shouldn’t, and now he’s ticked off.

Aetna, Cigna, MoO all create new entities and you can’t move them GI. It’s a lesson learned for next time. It’s time to move on.
Actually I told him I wasn't sure if his assumptions were correct; I'd look into it. I then told him what UHC told me (eg they found a loophole but didn't say it like that - just said it was 2 different subsidiaries and so UHC says they have to pass medical underwriting to switch; ultimately talked to a supervisor's supervisor and got the same answer there too). I didn't actually tell him I agreed with him. I knew if what I found out wasn't the answer he wanted and if I didn't keep my opinion to myself he'd start to argue with me that I was supposed to fix it for him. With what I told him the argument is with UHC and not me. I plan to not return phone calls until I can have a more detailed conversation with medicare on Monday and then can tell him what Medicare says. Then what he chooses to do is up to him.

AARP Medicare supplement only offers one version in FL. I don't ever mention extra benefits. Some people ask about dental but few are willing to pay the price for an individual plan.

Amazed how the MSO’s talk about all the free crap like all they get is a squeeze ball and a calendar. This free cap amounts to hearing aids for very small copay, 1300-1600/year for dental, 150-200/year for OTC, free eye exam and 300.00 for glasses. 350.00 gym membership, and a fitness benefit to buy weights, etc for home use.

Add all the free shit up and the fact they aren’t paying a premium and it amounts to about what their max oop is on the plan. If you haven’t figured it out people love free shit, especially when the Government is paying for it all. Oh, and my clients also leave with a bag of squeeze balls and calendars. 😀

Med supp clients don't have to add the hours, days and weeks to get pre auth for tests, imaging or procedures as they sit in pain. Nor do they get anxiety on whether they can keep their doctor or hospital next year.

Free chit is quickly forgotten

First of all I want to commend you on sticking with this one. Most agents would have tucked and run the other way.

And second, I want to apologize for barking at you with my first post. I totally misunderstood what you were talking about.

A couple of things I'd check is when was the last rate increase on his current plan and the same for the plan he wants to go to. Sometimes that can help explain the difference between the two.

How much is he paying now? And how much is the difference between the two plans?

As far as underwriting, nobody is going to take him with his heart situation. A potential bypass is a knockout with all carriers.
The difference between the two is about $70/mo (paying $216.73 now to go up about $224.93 in Jan BUT last Jan he was paying $193.13 - heck why does everything end in 3? LOL). The rate increases are twice a year.

OK so next too much information - I asked because of medical underwriting and got a book so to speak.
With the heart stuff technically he has only had a high resolution Lung CT scan done for long covid due to mildly low oxygen diffusion (that has since recovered) that showed clogged cardiac arteries that no one knew about before. He was already taking high cholesterol meds, no other formal dx other than the one at the follow up with the cardiologist due to the incidental finding on the CT based on what the radiologist said. The cardiologist gave the tentative dx and that could change once more tests are done the week before thanksgiving since the lung CT is not the do all end all for cardiology dx's. And the cardiologst said maybe a stent or triple bypass. I was thinking, after you wrote your message that his only loophole on the cardiology stuff was to file for the change prior to the Nov tests and maybe get lucky with the medical underwriting since none of the cancers have needed treatment since 2011?

Not sure though if he'd pass even without that on there. He has had 3 cancers (2 in remission one for 21 years and one for 14 years; the indolent blood cancer is not curable but in remission since May 2011, is checked yearly and some people never relapse even though it is technically incurable), large and small fiber neuropathy, prediabetic (treated but because it helps slow neuropathy progression not due to type 2 diabetes), mildly high blood pressure (but treated), GI issues without a specific diagnosis... yet to meet him you'd have no clue anything is wrong.

Cripes I am glad that client will never see this thread as this is a lot of detailed, private information (but because of the mutual good friend if I don't go out of my way to help there will be issues I don't want).

Of course stuff like this really means clients can be/will be married for life to their initial choice for medigap once the initial enrollment is over. And of course if they don't bail soon enough from a MA plan to get back into straight Medicare with a gap plan in time for no medical underwriting. Getting some of them to understand this I sometimes feel like I am beating my head against the wall. If we had ESP then we'd know in advance when we'd fail medical underwriting so could bail. Duh you are healthy now, but what if...? You know that thing called aging. I had one client tell me if they got cancer they'd leave their advantage plan so they could go out of state for care to a decent cancer center. Umm no. It will be too late then. Sigh.

I appreciate the advice. I do think he is stuck despite what one could read into the Guaranteed Right Issue rules. As a result I am tempted to tell him to move temporarily to a birthday no medical underwriting change state, change G's and then move back home. Of course that won't go over well either.

PS I sort of hijacked this thread. I should have started a new one. Sorry to all of you reading this who find I turned left so to speak.

Amazed how the MSO’s talk about all the free crap like all they get is a squeeze ball and a calendar. This free cap amounts to hearing aids for very small copay, 1300-1600/year for dental, 150-200/year for OTC, free eye exam and 300.00 for glasses. 350.00 gym membership, and a fitness benefit to buy weights, etc for home use.

Add all the free shit up and the fact they aren’t paying a premium and it amounts to about what their max oop is on the plan. If you haven’t figured it out people love free shit, especially when the Government is paying for it all. Oh, and my clients also leave with a bag of squeeze balls and calendars. 😀
Yet there are still Boomers out there that think like me. I'm on a plan G and love it. When I go to the doctor I never take my checkbook. And I could give a shit about a free ride on a treadmill.

But I would like one of those squeeze balls though.

Back