What are 3 things that make a excellent FE agent?

1) Never being a quitter
2) ehhhh can't think of anything else
3) this is too hard I quit

Seriously though I would say:
1) Persistency.....If your system is working, stick to it week after week
2) Positivity...you're going to have good days and bad days, don't let the lows get you down
3) Patience: for the people you are going to be dealing with on a daily basis

Worrying about being overly prepared for every possible thing is the #1 agent killer. I’ve had agents that had their 1st leads, have contracts approved with Oxford, Trans, Gerber, Trinity, etc but then they tell you they are planning to wait until next week to run appointments because their UHL number hasn’t come through yet. What?

Those guys never make it.

The kind of guys who make it are out there 1st thing Monday morning if they only have ONE company appointment that has come through. They don’t know the meaning of the word no. And they can’t wait to get out there and get their piece of the pie.

Or you get the guy who is so worried about running into a case that he can’t place so he freezes up and does nothing. Who cares? You will place most of them if you just get out there.

Worrying about being overly prepared for every possible thing is the #1 agent killer. I’ve had agents that had their 1st leads, have contracts approved with Oxford, Trans, Gerber, Trinity, etc but then they tell you they are planning to wait until next week to run appointments because their UHL number hasn’t come through yet. What?

When I started full time, I had multiple company contracts, but I just wrote everybody with one company whose underwriting I understood. It was a mid-pack company with respect to price, and I onl use them as a niche type carrier now, writing them just a couple of times a month. But you only need one company to get to work. I used off time to learn the other companies and then started to expand my offerings. I learn something new in this business everyday just about. If I had waited until I knew everything, I'd still be waiting.

Last edited:

Those guys never make it.

The kind of guys who make it are out there 1st thing Monday morning if they only have ONE company appointment that has come through. They don’t know the meaning of the word no. And they can’t wait to get out there and get their piece of the pie.

Or you get the guy who is so worried about running into a case that he can’t place so he freezes up and does nothing. Who cares? You will place most of them if you just get out there.
As a manager for a captive carrier we only had that one company. So no ringing hands about which company to offer, or waiting for a contract to come through, etc. But many new agents still found reasons to avoid actually getting out there to sell. Unfortunately for them and us, we financed them with a guaranteed income for 13 weeks. Those were the agents who always failed to validate by the end of the 3 months and usually quit as soon as their pay dropped. Many of them left with really bad attitudes about "not getting proper training" or being "misled about income expectations" or other nonsense that blamed somebody else besides themselves for their failure.

My first sales manager told me not to worry about knowing everything. He said that the fastest way to learn this business is to get out there and get your nose bloodied a few times.

I was always told, "No than 99% of your prospets.

I was always told, "no matter how little you think you know, you know more than 99% of your prospects."
That's true unless you're working in a Navy Town. I started out at MetLife in Virginia Beach, VA. A lot of my prospects were Navy techies. Some of those guys know more than 99% of the entire world, if you know what I mean.

Last edited:
Back