What Are My Health Insurance Options?

"Assurant Health and Anthem STM, maybe even MMO"

The above are my best options for STM? BTW, what is MMO?

Is my basic plan of getting insurance through my business sound?

Anthem and MMO are not in FL.

Come August, a group of one policy will start at about $700 a month.

I had several prospects last summer, ask me about these----very few actually enrolled.

I recommend getting an STM from Assurant/HumanaOne/HealthPlan Administrators.

Based on the info you have submitted so far, I doubt if anyone is going to be able to recommend a carrier for major medical, unless you want to pick the phone up and call one of us.

United Healthcare might work for fully underwritten coverage, but you would probably have the eye condition excluded. Their height/weight tables go up to 279 pounds at 6 feet tall, so even if they add back half of your weight, you would still fall within the guidelines. Probably looking at rate up or exclusion for the BP and cholesterol. Most companies have a "3 strikes" rule where if you have a combination of being overweight along with BP + cholesterol you are automatically declined. A $5k deductible HSA plan would probably cost you around $150/month. Do you know what the diagnosis is on the eye condition that gives you headaches and blurred vision? Also, what's your zip code?

United Healthcare might work for fully underwritten coverage, but you would probably have the eye condition excluded. Their height/weight tables go up to 279 pounds at 6 feet tall, so even if they add back half of your weight, you would still fall within the guidelines. Probably looking at rate up or exclusion for the BP and cholesterol. Most companies have a "3 strikes" rule where if you have a combination of being overweight along with BP + cholesterol you are automatically declined. A $5k deductible HSA plan would probably cost you around $150/month. Do you know what the diagnosis is on the eye condition that gives you headaches and blurred vision? Also, what's your zip code?

The primary care physician said the eye problems were caused by being overweight; then referred me to a ophthalmologist.

Unfortunately, over the past month and a half my symptoms have not gotten better despite losing weight. In fact , they have gotten a worse. I have another appointment to see the ophthalmologist in a few weeks.

Would it be better to get STM now. Then continue work on loosing weight and getting my blood pressure / cholesterol under control. Lastly apply for permanent health insurance policy later in the year?

[FONT=&quot]My zip code is 32608.

[/FONT]

The primary care physician said the eye problems were caused by being overweight; then referred me to a ophthalmologist.

Unfortunately, over the past month and a half my symptoms have not gotten better despite losing weight. In fact , they have gotten a worse. I have another appointment to see the ophthalmologist in a few weeks.

Would it be better to get STM now. Then continue work on loosing weight and getting my blood pressure / cholesterol under control. Lastly apply for permanent health insurance policy later in the year?

[FONT=&quot]My zip code is 32608.
[/FONT]

I don't know what the rules for STM are in Florida, so I can't really help you there. The appointment with the opthamologist might be a deal-killer until it's completed if there's any follow-up testing to be done. Did the opthamologist give you any sort of diagnosis? I would always take underwritten over STM if you can get it. STM won't cover any pre-existing conditions anyway. A $5k deductible HSA with United would cost you around $150-200/month factoring in a rate-up and the optional unlimited prescription benefit rider (well worth the extra $5-10/month).

Naturally I am not a doctor, however--It sounds to me like you are diabetic.

I have never heard of someone having vision problems due to weight(unless it was related to diabetes).

You need to get tested for diabetes again and apply for medicaid.

In the meantime, the Careington discount card bundle for $29.95 per month will give you access to negiotated rates with participating providers.

I don't know what the rules for STM are in Florida, so I can't really help you there. The appointment with the opthamologist might be a deal-killer until it's completed if there's any follow-up testing to be done. Did the ophthalmologist give you any sort of diagnosis? I would always take underwritten over STM if you can get it. STM won't cover any pre-existing conditions anyway. A $5k deductible HSA with United would cost you around $150-200/month factoring in a rate-up and the optional unlimited prescription benefit rider (well worth the extra $5-10/month).

The ophthalmologist did not give me a [FONT=&quot]definitive [/FONT]diagnosis.

I will look into United Healthcare. Thanks.

If you submit an honest application, without a diagnosis you are not going to get coverage from any carrier.

If you submit an honest application, without a diagnosis you are not going to get coverage from any carrier.

So I have to get the ophthalmologist to tell me exactly what is wrong first before I could get health insurance?

There is a possibility that I could get a job that offers medical benefits after 6 months.

Some have suggested my eye problems may be caused by diabetes. If that is the case would I be better off, getting an individual health insurance policy with exclusions for diabetes, getting the job the offers health benefits, then canceling my individual policy after the job health insurance kicks in?

So I have to get the ophthalmologist to tell me exactly what is wrong first before I could get health insurance?

There is a possibility that I could get a job that offers medical benefits after 6 months.

Some have suggested my eye problems may be caused by diabetes. If that is the case would I be better off, getting an individual health insurance policy with exclusions for diabetes, getting the job the offers health benefits, then canceling my individual policy after the job health insurance kicks in?

There are two kinds of health insurance you could get:

********Excluding discount/limited benefit plans********

Individual Major Medical (long term plan)

Short Term Major Medical (good for up to 6 or 12 months at a time, usually)

You are a decline for IMM, guaranteed.

STM, like Somarco said if you answer the medical questions truthfully, you will not be issued coverage with most STM plans.

Take a look at the medical questions on this STM app from HPA:

Attachments

• SSL-STMF-0709-APP-FL_www (1).pdf
    289.5 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

There are no exclusions for diabetes, it's generally an auto-decline unless you are in absolute perfect health otherwise. Being overweight and having the BP/cholesterol treatments would cause an auto-decline with all companies, if in fact you are diabetic. If the opthamologist gives you a clear diagnosis, it may help (or may not), but probably still going to be tough to find anything. Companies don't want to see unexplained headaches and blurry vision without knowing what exactly is causing the problem.

Back