What do you say to your DM leads?

sbg_ben

Super Genius
I am getting back some leads on something I mailed out regarding replacing medicare supplements with cheaper versions of the same plan w/ a different company. I have also tried the t65 direct mail leads. I have been using target leads for the mailing/list.

I am not sure if my approach sucks, the mailer sucks, or direct mail for seniors in general sucks. To me it seems like they fill out these return cards and then instantly forget about it. Or the ones who were interested and remember are annoyed that you called and don't really want to talk about their Medicare. I'm a little frustrated with that because why the hell would they send in something if they didn't want to be contacted??

When I call I basically tell them that I was the one who mailed out something to them and that I got their information when they mailed to ask for more information. I usually don't get past that step but when I do I start asking them some information about their plan. One that I got back was a nice guy who said he was on dialysis and wouldn't qualify to change his med supp so I agreed and asked him some questions about his wife. I may be able to get an ACA sale out of that deal from just continuing to ask questions..

I honestly am excited to save money for people on their medicare supplements because if they are healthy and with an overpriced company it can be a good savings. I just need to be able to get to the point where I can help people to understand that I am trying to help them... If they are on a fixed budget and can save $10-$50 a month why not do it??

I guess I am rambling and venting here but I just want an idea on why I can't convert these damn things. I had 26 t65leads from DM last year and I sold one advantage plan to someone that was already on medicare due to being disabled. So I basically spent $600 to sell a $240 policy. I'm sure it will pay off but not for 3 years lol. Out of those 26 I made about 5 appointments with only 1 person keeping the appointment and I made the sale.

Any suggestions appreciated! By the way- I am not struggling in general I am getting referrals from current clients and from plenty of other sources. I just want to find a good method to increase my sales between these referrals and during the slower times of year.

Thanks

What do you say to your DM leads?

I grab the lead gently, hold it in my hands and say " lead, I know you have been through a lot. You were pressed on, cut on, handled by rough, possibly gay postal workers, just so you could arrive at some old ladies house, to be held, poked with a pen, thrown down hard on a table and then shoved in a cold, dark mailbox . . .

Then some old grumpy people that work for the post office and probably never wash their hands, fondled you, threw you into a sorting bag with gosh know what other kinds of mail pieces, maybe even illegals . . .

Then you found me.

I'm going to write all over your body, stick you in a folder, carry you ever so gently to my car and I'm gonna take you out on the town . . .

Soon - with you cradled in my hands or maybe strapped to a clipboard - you will reunite with that old lady at her house.

If she buys what we are selling - then you will become gently attached to other papers and live forever.

If she doesn't buy - well, then your life is over because I'm going to put you in a shredder and then you help the planet by becoming recycled . . .

One suggestion since they're telling you they don't remember sending in the card: Make a copy of the card and include it with a brochure featuring a quote on the front page and why they should change. Then, follow up with a phone call.

Do NOT talk about saving $x per month. Talk about $XX a year. $XX over the next 10 years.
"Mrs. Jones, what would you do with an extra $3,000 in your pocket?

Still not interested.

"Ok, before I hang up, let me ask you a question. Why would any intelligent person
O V E R P A Y on their insurance?" (this assumes your brochure shows them that all plans are standardized with the same, basic benefits).

Good luck. Hope this helps.

I just say, “hi Mrs Johnson my name is Chaz Mulherin and I’m calling you because I got a card back from you about your upcoming start to Medicare, you start Medicare next June correct?”

That way the question is whether they start Medicare soon or not, not if they remember your card.
It’s a rare day when someone says to me they didn’t fill out any card.

Most people I actually get on the phone, I can set an appt with. But I hate wasting my time so once they agree to meet, I ask them if they have insurance through their employer (if yes, then how much and how long) and if they have tricare.
If all is good I will confirm the appt.

I just say, “hi Mrs Johnson my name is Chaz Mulherin and I’m calling you because I got a card back from you about your upcoming start to Medicare, you start Medicare next June correct?”

That way the question is whether they start Medicare soon or not, not if they remember your card.
It’s a rare day when someone says to me they didn’t fill out any card.

Most people I actually get on the phone, I can set an appt with. But I hate wasting my time so once they agree to meet, I ask them if they have insurance through their employer (if yes, then how much and how long) and if they have tricare.
If all is good I will confirm the appt.

How do you continue conversation, why should they meet you?

“Ok perfect, what I do is show you what Medicare covers, what it cost, how to sign up for it and see all if your options. That way when it gets close to your birthday, you’ll be ready to go. Are you free tomorrow at 11? I’ll come to you and leave you with important info”
If they don’t say much or are not sure, I let them know that they never pay me anything and tomorrow we are just going over Medicare info, not signing up for anything.

Back