What do you say to your DM leads?

Thanks for all the replies. I like what you have to say Chazm but I am not calling on t65's this time. I am calling on med supp replacement lead cards. I think I am just spoiled, 99% of my business has been referrals so far because that is how the agent who taught me gets all of her business. That's fine but I don't have enough referrals coming in so i'm trying to step it up with other methods. Maybe I should just have my wife call these leads she is better sounding on the phone

Thanks for all the replies. I like what you have to say Chazm but I am not calling on t65's this time. I am calling on med supp replacement lead cards. I think I am just spoiled, 99% of my business has been referrals so far because that is how the agent who taught me gets all of her business. That's fine but I don't have enough referrals coming in so i'm trying to step it up with other methods. Maybe I should just have my wife call these leads she is better sounding on the phone

Oh I’d love to have referrals all the time but I’d be twiddling my thumbs most days.

Calling Med supp leads works for a lot of peeps here, it didn’t for me. I was garbage at it. But I called TM leads not dm

Oh I’d love to have referrals all the time but I’d be twiddling my thumbs most days.

Calling Med supp leads works for a lot of peeps here, it didn’t for me. I was garbage at it. But I called TM leads not dm

I do spend most days twiddling my thumbs that is the problem! I guess I am just going to keep calling these leads and trying to get an appointment..

That’s exactly what you should do. Well it’s the 2nd best thing actually.

The best thing is for you to learn how to set appointments really well. But if you aren’t going to do that, your wife will be better at setting them than you. Because she doesn’t know the answers to the questions they ask. So all she will know is to say “He will cover that on the appointment”.

The main problem with agents calling to set appointments that aren’t good at setting appointments is...we talk too much. We know too much. Your wife doesn’t. So all she needs is a pleasant voice and good attitude and she will set you some good ones. She won’t get the tough ones. But you can just door knock those.

Oddly I have a similar problem. Ive been primarily MAPD because thats what the carriers pushed--and what they pay to promote. 2019 I want to sell SUPS.

It dawns on me I have Med supp clients--but have never really "sold" a Med supp. I've responded to a call and did the app. I will also be sending out some direct mail pieces in 2019 and not really sure how to handle them

My tendency is to just go see them--far harder to say no in person than on the phone.

But would love any and all coaching on how to actually "Sell" a Med supp

PS they will NOT be T65s

Oddly I have a similar problem. Ive been primarily MAPD because thats what the carriers pushed--and what they pay to promote. 2019 I want to sell SUPS.

It dawns on me I have Med supp clients--but have never really "sold" a Med supp. I've responded to a call and did the app. I will also be sending out some direct mail pieces in 2019 and not really sure how to handle them

My tendency is to just go see them--far harder to say no in person than on the phone.

But would love any and all coaching on how to actually "Sell" a Med supp

PS they will NOT be T65s

Med Sups are easier to sell than Med Advantage. You just have to get familiar with the underwriting questions. Other than that, much easier. You don't need to look up doctors and run into issues of out of network doctors. And you have much more flexibility with RX plans. You don't have to try to cram a square peg in a round hole with their drugs. And you have much less service work with Med Sups. The only time they call you is when they get a big rate increase and that just allows you to re-shop it for them every four to five years if their rate has become uncompetitive.

When you call to set appointments the people who say no on the phone still have to say no in person too. You don't toss a lead if they don't set an appointment. It's just more efficent to set appointments with the ones that will set appointments and sell them first. Then door knock all the rest. Rather than door knock all of them. You will find that many that LIKE that you set an appointment and are more likely to buy from an agent that they see as more professional. Other people hate to pin down appointments and are more responsive to you just catching them at a good time with a random door knock. You want to see ALL of them so you do both.

But don't be afraid of Med Sups if you are already selling Advantage. It's definitely not more difficult. You just have to learn which ones to walk away from due to health.

Last edited:
This will be in Missouri so no underwritiing. Ive tried a hundred times to broach the subject but all I get is "I already have one"---if I can save you $500 a year? "Oh hell no!"

So we shall see! I tend to knock them all and those that prefer appts to set them then

I love referals and do t65 seminars and when I am slow and I do med supp replacements on the phone . When selling med supp replacements over the phone the trick is to let the lead do the talking. Dont introduce yourself dont tell them how much you are going to save them . Keep it simple do a policy review w/them ask them how much they are paying and ask them if the price has gone up and if they think the price is high. After that u can start explaining standardization and quote them . We train agents on phone sales and and Replacemens pay immediately or next month which is nice when u r starting out.

I just say, “hi Mrs Johnson my name is Chaz Mulherin and I’m calling you because I got a card back from you about your upcoming start to Medicare, you start Medicare next June correct?”

That way the question is whether they start Medicare soon or not, not if they remember your card.
It’s a rare day when someone says to me they didn’t fill out any card.

Most people I actually get on the phone, I can set an appt with. But I hate wasting my time so once they agree to meet, I ask them if they have insurance through their employer (if yes, then how much and how long) and if they have tricare.
If all is good I will confirm the appt.

WHat do you mean by "all is good," did they not qualify for the policy, and if so how to you handle it on the phone.

Back