What got you started in insurance?

Married my high school sweet heart. Worked in a factory to pay bills. I would get laid off every 3 weeks or so. I was at my table looking at the classifieds. Knock on the door was a Combined Insurance sales manager. Cold knocked my door. Rode with him for 2 days. Still selling that was 1986.

I actually majored in Risk Management & Insurance in college. I liked to sleep late and never took a class before 10:00 in the morning. I went to register for classes one quarter and it was either Intro to Real Estate at 7:50 AM or Intro to Insurance at Noon. Realized insurance consisted of a little finance, marketing, general business and a lot of common sense. 35 years later and the rest is history.

Mid-level staffer manufacturing company and looked around and saw guys almost twice my age that were running around like they were scared to death they were going to get axed at any minute, laughing at stale jokes, nodding in agreement with every stupid thing that someone above them said, and realized I couldn't do it anymore.

I decided to just stop going in to work while I looked for something else to do, and took a job as a captive agent for two years, and then independent~17 years.

Last edited:
My Aunt started as a Farmers agent and went indi finding her niche in auto dealer insurance. She blessed me with a wonderful opportunity at her office 28 years ago. I started with typing dealer bonds; expanded into commercial insurance and eventually landing in personal lines insurance. I am now in process of obtaining my adjutors license. I enjoy helping people and insurance is my avenue to do so. God Bless my Aunt and that opportunity so long ago!

My Aunt started as a Farmers agent and went indi finding her niche in auto dealer insurance. She blessed me with a wonderful opportunity at her office 28 years ago. I started with typing dealer bonds; expanded into commercial insurance and eventually landing in personal lines insurance. I am now in process of obtaining my adjutors license. I enjoy helping people and insurance is my avenue to do so. God Bless my Aunt and that opportunity so long ago!

Why did you move from commercial to personal lines?

Back