What Makes You Trust a Website?

Over the last six months I've been focusing on improving the credibility of my own website, what makes you trust a site?

One of the things I've seen folks use a lot is a client list, but personally that doesn't do much for my confidence level. It seems it does matter to some consumers because it's on a lot of sites, but it's never mattered much to me.

Publicly registered domains, contact phone numbers, @yoursite.com email addresses, and a physical address all help.

I'm adding an EV SSL, but I don't know how much that will actually matter.

What makes you trust a website?

This thread has been bumped up a few times lately, and so I want to go back to the original post and question.

Trust a website to get me to do what??? Until I know what you want me to do... it's hard to answer that question.

First, the "branding" only counts if you're asking me to buy something directly from an online store. If you're not selling anything direct for purchase, then branding is less of an issue.

I want to see:
- Name, address, phone number, and other pertinent contact information easily found.

- Picture

- "About Me" page

- A home page about your business that sounds like YOU wrote it. It should feel "conversational", versus "institutional". Talk about the problems that people have and how you help people to solve them.

- Testimonials (depending on your business)

- Links to social media pages (LinkedIn, Facebook, etc.)

- A way for me to BEGIN to engage with you on a low risk/commitment basis. This could be to request a free report and/or sign up for an email newsletter, etc. The insurance business is in the information business, so we should offer high value information to help engage others. If you're selling stuff on your site, include a 10% off your first order (or other discount) when they sign up for your newsletter.

- Instructions for me to request an appointment. If you want me to call a staff member, indicate how and when to contact them. If you have an online scheduling link, make it clear and easy to use.

- Use a professional color scheme and template. Hot pink and yellow are not only hard to read, but make your site an embarrassment to those who offer similar services. Use consistent fonts.

- A "video greeting" from the agent/advisor is nice because I can get a chance to "preview" you... but I don't see it necessary for "building trust".

Just a few thoughts.

According to me, the physical location and contact details make a website reliable.

I agree, I am always turned off when a site has no phone number and address, Especially if a site feels like the only way I can find out about the company or contact info requires me to make the commitment of giving my contact info,

This is true, although our SEO firm often places pictures of our client's pets on the "About Us" pages. We get great results.

Fido SEO Services
Barkington, Fl.
Service since 1995

I know you're too modest to discuss this but the $17,500 I paid you for my website and the $999 monthly is the best money I ever spent. I know it takes time and it's only been 3 years but my site will soon be on page 10.

Without your help who knows where it would be.

Rick

Funny guys ...

Question: Where's the best place to hide a body?

Answer: Page 2 of Google

Back