What Would You Have Done?

I tell the consumer that the marketplace will often require that we send in something showing the income we are stating and to think about what we can use to show the $12k in income.

I'd tell him a good PPO (Blueoptions everyone takes) with 3k oop limit would be $450/mo, or we can dig a little here and find another $2k of income then you can get that same plan for $127/mo w/ a $950 oop limit.

Also, he might not of been telling the whole story - if he has investments he might of thought those dont count as "income"....that might be an issue. Is he mentally challenged? What 28 yr old working for their dad only makes $10k with investments? Someome taking money under the table?

So you use 2014 income of 25,000 for a household of two..... and they proceed to tell you that even though they told you 25,000 wages on their 2015 app, they will be taking a 13,000 rental loss for the house that they usually break even on each year.... but this year didn't have renters for since the previous tenant trashed it and they had repairs. And if they can get renters in there in 2016 their income will be back up to around 25,000... but they don't know if they will... and every month without a renter is a loss of $800 how do they project that???

I tell them to talk to their accountant! But what do they do for insurance in the meanwhile?? Subsidy eligible in 2014, not subsidy eligible based on 2015.... but they might be in 2016.... subsidy will probably be yanked in 2016 once they file 2015 taxes even though they could have a renter by then and would be eligible in 2016...and then they would lose coverage and be fined if they didn't have the coverage that would cost $600 a month without subsidy that they are eligible for that Uncle Sam just yanked....

:D:swoon:
If they send me a copy of their 2014 tax return, that tells me 1) they are serious buyers, and, it 2)begins the conversation of, " what do you think your 2015 & more importantly, your 2016 magi look like".

Younger, or more tech savvy folks, used to phone bank & do it yourself web sources may not be tuned to a personal agent situation. I am considering how to deal with that politely, without wasting my time. The idea of paying the same price for a person to help just doesn't register with some, it seems. So, even when we are perfectly polite, we can get the brush off. Some sales situations, I have been a bit blunt, but we still work well together, having come to an understanding. I would be feeling it if the brush off came from someone related to one of my clients, more than other times. May have happened anyway is my point.

Have to dust off my Robert Ringer and Sandler Sales system stuff.

And, get a way for those folks to enroll themselves on a site of my own.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back