When is the best time to switch someone

I truly don’t believe any member really missed an AEP or OEP because of a tornado that happened in April, yet the SEP still exists and almost every agent in this country would use it. You are saying this is illegal?
(for others reading this, caveat, I am NOT an agent making a living from the sale of insurance products and confronting the needs of Medicare Beneficiaries (other than myself) on a daily basis.)

If you and the member know a tornado did not prevent the member from properly applying for insurance during the AEP or OEP, but you both sign an application saying the tornado did prevent the member from completing an application in that time, you are both lying on an application for insurance. Further, in crafting the application and telling the member it is ok to sign it, you are using your insurance license and appearance of professional expertise to cause the member to lie on an application for insurance coverage.

My insurance forums education suggests that it is unwise and unethical behavior to lie on an application for insurance. My feeling is that a professional insurance agent causing another person to lie on an insurance application might be a criminal act -- but I am not an attorney so I don't know that for a fact.

(for others reading this, caveat, I am NOT an agent making a living from the sale of insurance products and confronting the needs of Medicare Beneficiaries (other than myself) on a daily basis.)

If you and the member know a tornado did not prevent the member from properly applying for insurance during the AEP or OEP, but you both sign an application saying the tornado did prevent the member from completing an application in that time, you are both lying on an application for insurance. Further, in crafting the application and telling the member it is ok to sign it, you are using your insurance license and appearance of professional expertise to cause the member to lie on an application for insurance coverage.

My insurance forums education suggests that it is unwise and unethical behavior to lie on an application for insurance. My feeling is that a professional insurance agent causing another person to lie on an insurance application might be a criminal act -- but I am not an attorney so I don't know that for a fact.

The discourse over this is ridiculous, especially coming from a non-agent.

The discourse over this is ridiculous, especially coming from a non-agent.
From what I can see on here this person is a troll. Why would a non agent come on an agent forum and debate with people. I’m sure he’s on Lawyer and Doctor forums as well giving advice. I will disregard any further posts. I gave him an opportunity to prove what he is saying and all he has is opinions.

From what I can see on here this person is a troll. Why would a non agent come on an agent forum and debate with people. I’m sure he’s on Lawyer and Doctor forums as well giving advice. I will disregard any further posts. I gave him an opportunity to prove what he is saying and all he has is opinions.

Definitely not trolling lol

There is an ignore function. Click on the little box with your name picture on it, then look down the right hand column for ignoring.

As far as this:
I gave him an opportunity to prove what he is saying and all he has is opinions.
is concerned,

I used your own words to show you believe lying on an application for insurance, and encouraging others to do the same, is ok.

I have been an agent for 12 years, but started my own agency about a year ago. Back in my wild west days I could less about the right time to switch someone who has an advantage plan. The scenario is this. I have a couple of leads that I can easily switch them from one company to another before AEP due to the disaster SEP. Would it be best to just wait until AEP, as far as retainment of client and commission? Or is it best to do it now and establish the relationship? I want to build this the right way. Thanks

What election did they miss where they could use the disaster SEP?

What parent failed so miserably in teaching you basic decency? This is the kind of unprofessional crap that makes this "PROFESSIONAL" forum worse than most sub-reddits.

When someone asks interesting questions that might be helpful to others who want to learn (in this case I've only been in the industry a few years), there is so often someone channeling their college frat boy keg party hazing, it is so ignorant. Now, TwoCents, don't worry it's not all about you. You just happen to be the one acting a fool today.
(caveat, not an agent.)

@LivinginOz

@TwoCents asked a valid professional question. (That it is a valid professional question is a fact many agents choose to ignore.)

this (notice it is a link to a CMS document):

Includes this:

A. The special opportunity to enroll in, disenroll from or switch Medicare health or
prescription drug plans applies to all individuals who:
--Bullet point 1 ---

-- Bullet point 2 -- • Were eligible for another election period at the time of the SEP eligibility;
and

-- Bullet point 3 --

(caveat, not an agent.)

@LivinginOz

@TwoCents asked a valid professional question. (That it is a valid professional question is a fact many agents choose to ignore.)

this (notice it is a link to a CMS document):

Includes this:

A. The special opportunity to enroll in, disenroll from or switch Medicare health or
prescription drug plans applies to all individuals who:
--Bullet point 1 ---

-- Bullet point 2 -- • Were eligible for another election period at the time of the SEP eligibility;
and

-- Bullet point 3 --
You should get a class action law suit going.

Call CMS or any carrier and say this. Hi I have a client that could have used AEP or OEP but, I see I can still use this disaster SEP is that OK? What do you think they will say? Has anyone truly ever “missed” an AEP because of a drought? Or are you upset because another agent used something to his and the clients advantage and it took one of your clients away?

Here is the scenario. Member lives in Iowa and member used AEP but not OEP but could have. So you are suggesting that if an Agent used the FEMA disaster SEP for say swine flu, that is illegal and an agent can be punished for that? I truly don’t believe any member really missed an AEP or OEP because of a tornado that happened in April, yet the SEP still exists and almost every agent in this country would use it. You are saying this is illegal? And if it is illegal or unethical the onus is on you to prove.
Caveat, not an agent.

After doing a bit of reading, I believe you have given a great example of committing Insurance Fraud by using Material Misrepresentation on an application for insurance coverage.

Back