Where Do I Learn About Life Insurance?

Insurance, whether it be whole life or not is NEVER and investment. If you look at it that way, you should change your thinking.

Of course it is an investment. Almost every time you spend money you are investing for some kind of a return. If you invest in a plasma screen TV at Best Buy, you expect the "return" of a great picture (and perhaps repair service.) When you "invest" in a restaurant meal you are hoping for the "return" of a great meal and pleasure of not having to clean up.

Perhaps the only expenditures where there is no expectation of a return and thus are not "investments" are when paying taxes or giving to charity.

I have no problem calling any and every kind of insurance an "investment" as I define it within the context I use it ... and would have no problem defending that in front of any DOI or FINRA board of inquiry.

"Susan, this plan is an investment in your family's well-being. You will "invest" $100 a month in a life policy with the hope you won't die, but if you do, your family will have a return of half a million tax-free dollars. You can invest that same amount in the stock market. You can invest it in bank CDs. But I don't know of any investment you can make of that amount that will guarantee the return of half a million dollars to your family if you die the next day."

Are you going to tell me with a serious face that you have a problem with that? If so, I'd like to hear it. My mind is open to any objections you might have. This is how my grandfather sold NYL in the 30s. This is how my dad sold Berkshire Life when I was a boy in the 50s. It is how I sell now. If I'm breaking the law or some half-assed rule, take me out and shoot me!

You make a good argument, al, but that line in your example where you say to Susan...in the hope you don't die, but if.... Nobody gets off this planet alive, so I think that saying in the hope that you don't die is misleading or at the very least giving false hope!:cool:

Nobody gets off this planet alive,

Well, that's simply the Western Judea-Christian belief. There are about a billion people who follow the various Hindu traditions (they don't call them "religions") as well as variants of vedic scriptures who would disagree with you.

From the Bhagavad-Gita:

But know that by whom the entire physical body is pervaded is indestructible. No one is able to cause the destruction of the imperishable soul.

The soul never takes birth and never dies at any time nor does it come into being again when the body is created. The soul is birthless, eternal, imperishable and timeless and is never terminated when the body is terminated.

As a person gives up old and worn out garments and accepts new apparel, similarly the embodied soul giving up old and worn out bodies verily accepts new bodies.

For one who has taken birth, death is certain and for one who has died, birth is certain. Therefore in an inevitable situation understanding should prevail.

Denise,
Welcome to the forum.
Insurance, whether it be whole life or not is NEVER and investment. If you look at it that way, you should change your thinking.

Nor is term simply whole life minus the cash accumulation piece which seems to be the way that Denise is summarizing it. Term is term. Whole life is whole life.

Back